You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2018 9:47 am  #1

Odour Proof Bag

I recently received an Ursack Major for my birthday that I'm looking forward to using. For those of you who use these bags, do you use another odour proof bag inside of them? If so, what bags do you use and where do you buy them?

I know MEC sells these ones, but they are the only ones on my radar:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-253/OPSak-Odour-Proof-Barrier-Bags-2-Pack

10/01/2018 10:42 am  #2

Re: Odour Proof Bag

What food are you packing? For example dehydrated meals are fairly odourless on their own. 

We use a lot of ziploc bags both because they are waterproof (when new) and for organization. Most garbage including leftover food is burned. In a fire ban, leftovers go back in a ziploc, which is often one of the same ziplocs the meal was packed in to start with. 

10/04/2018 6:43 pm  #3

Opsak naturally goes with Ursack bag - they are recommended by Ursack and sold on there site. Inside I use ziplocks for organization and double-ziplock anything smelly, like cheese. In 100+ days of tripping no animal's been ever interested in my Ursacks, which I keep overnight on the ground, away from the camp.

10/05/2018 8:08 pm  #4

Big fan of the op sak.

There's been several times I've left them on the ground overnight in areas heavy in squirrel/chipmunk infested areas where I couldn't hang food and they've been untouched.

Usually have a large one for food/garbage and a small one for toiletries.

The biggest accidental test I gave them was when I forgot my garbage from a trip in the trunk for several months including cheese and meat.  Never had even a hint of smell despite the interesting colours of rot growing in it.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.