You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2018 7:59 am  #1

Solo fall canoe fishing trip

Hey Everyone, Once again I'd like to do a pretty extensive solo trip this fall. The plan is to leave somewhere around Sept 25th and at minimum I'd like to spend 7 nights/8 days out there, but I can possibly get away for up to 10 nights. 
For this trip I want to travel a minimum of 20km per day, some days up to 30+ possibly. I obviously single carry all portages right from the start of the trip. 
Last year I started at Magnetawan Lake and did the Tim River to Shippagew, up to Burntroot via Longer then down to Big Trout, La Muir, Merchant, Happy Isle, Otterslides, Big Trout, McIntosh, Queer, Little Trout, Bice. I did that trip in 9 days and I found it extremely easy.
This Spring I started at Cedar and did Catfish-Hogan-Burntroot-Robinson and back via the Nip and again it was super easy, but it was 100% a fishing trip. I would prefer to not retrace either route this fall.
I can possibly arrange a shuttle from one Access point to another, but they'd have to be relatively close to North Bay, so I was thinking about possibly starting at Magnetewan again and ending either at Kiosk or Cedar/Wendigo.
Some things I want this trip to include are - Burntroot with either a layover day or a short day to get here, Lake Lavielle, and Big Crow Lake.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Last edited by ATVenture (9/09/2018 8:03 am)

9/10/2018 8:10 am  #2

Re: Solo fall canoe fishing trip

Pointing out the obvious maybe, but if you're starting Sept 25 and going for 8 days, then trout season closes 3/4 of the way into your trip. If you want to be fishing the whole way, you'll need to plan a route that ends along one of the few areas in the park where the range of other game fish extends 40 km into the backcountry. Qualifying home stretches could include Happy Isle-Opeongo (lake and river)-Booth-Farm, or any stretch of the Petawawa downstream of Cedar Lake.

9/11/2018 4:27 am  #3

DanPM wrote:

Pointing out the obvious maybe, but if you're starting Sept 25 and going for 8 days, then trout season closes 3/4 of the way into your trip. If you want to be fishing the whole way, you'll need to plan a route that ends along one of the few areas in the park where the range of other game fish extends 40 km into the backcountry. Qualifying home stretches could include Happy Isle-Opeongo (lake and river)-Booth-Farm, or any stretch of the Petawawa downstream of Cedar Lake.

Yep I realize this, I should have also mentioned I want to hopefully get to all the best trout spots before the 30th. I'd like to either do Lavielle/Crow river before Oct or Burntroot area. I can probably start the trip on the 24th, but no earlier.

9/11/2018 7:11 am  #4

To maximize the trout fishing, starting/ending at Opeongo might work better than a 

North arm of Opeongo to Crow River site 20K
Crow River to Mallic 22K
Mallic to Radiant 22K
Radient to Pet (2nd portage) 20K
Pet to Perley 18K
Perley to Burnt Root (south end) 10K
Burnt Root to Big Trout (Southern island) 12K
Big Trout to Opeongo 14K

Make it a 10 day trip and add in layovers.  I was looking at this as a possibility to do with a buddy in the future (nearing retirement and planning ahead).

For what it is worth

9/12/2018 3:15 am  #5

You could do the Petawawa from Magnetawan all the way across to McManus if a shuttle is an option.  That would put you in good trout waters for the first half and walleye, musky, bass and catfish once you get to Cedar.  You`d go through Burntroot naturally but you`d need to think about it to work Big Crowe in.

9/12/2018 12:17 pm  #6

You like know this but Lavielle has good fish and decent size ... Crow River has lots of fish too but not all that big (or at least we didn't get any large ones).  Just in case size matters ...

The crow river between BC and Lavielle is nice but gets dam windy as you get to lavielle ... great campsite on the river though ...  

9/12/2018 10:07 pm  #7

If you want to be starting near North Bay, why not do something out out Kiosk? For example, Kiosk, Manitou, Three Mile, Maple, Erables, Osler, Nadine, Nip R, Cedar, Aura Lee, Cauchon, etc./. Or some version of that. Trout lakes early on, bass lakes later.

9/13/2018 5:33 am  #8

Gord Baker wrote:

If you want to be starting near North Bay, why not do something out out Kiosk? For example, Kiosk, Manitou, Three Mile, Maple, Erables, Osler, Nadine, Nip R, Cedar, Aura Lee, Cauchon, etc./. Or some version of that. Trout lakes early on, bass lakes later.

Honestly I have done hundreds of trips (probably) from Kiosk and I don't have much desire to paddle along the old rail line on Cauchon, Little Cauchon, Mink, etc (was on Manitou less than 24 hours ago). I have already been on most of those lakes this year aside from a couple between Cedar and Kiosk.

I am really considering starting at Opeongo, I'd take a water taxi and start / finish at a different portage so it's almost like getting a shuttle, but not quite.

One thing I was wondering about the water taxi on Opeongo, is can I bring my dog on the boat? I assume there would be no issue but you never know.

Last edited by ATVenture (9/13/2018 5:33 am)

9/14/2018 12:26 am  #9

ATVenture wrote:

Gord Baker wrote:

Honestly I have done hundreds of trips (probably) from Kiosk and I don't have much desire to paddle along the old rail line on Cauchon, Little Cauchon, Mink, etc (was on Manitou less than 24 hours ago). I have already been on most of those lakes this year aside from a couple between Cedar and Kiosk.

I am really considering starting at Opeongo, I'd take a water taxi and start / finish at a different portage so it's almost like getting a shuttle, but not quite.

One thing I was wondering about the water taxi on Opeongo, is can I bring my dog on the boat? I assume there would be no issue but you never know.

Don't think you'll have an issue bringing the dog on a taxi.  The guys that drive for Opeongo
Outfitters are local anglers who are good to chat with on the ride.  Only issue with finishing at Opeongo is you'll be coming through prime trout waters after the season closes.  Going up to Burntroot via Big Trout and then over to Big Crow via sunfish and Hogan, then on to the Crow river down to Lavielle and Dickson would be a great trip but, I'd hate to be paddling across Lavielle or Dickson after the season has closed.

9/20/2018 6:46 am  #10

Was talking with AO, dogs are indeed aloud on the water taxi but I was told the earliest we could get on the water is likely after 8am, sounds like closer to 10am due to fog and later sunrise in the fall. Scratch that plan.

I am now stuck between starting at Mag and going up to Rosebary, then running the Nip to Burntroot. Not sure exactly after that but it would be pretty simple to figure out how to get to Big Crow then back to Mag.
Does anyone know what to expect between Mubwayaka and Rosebary? 

My next option is to start at Kiosk and go down do burntroot through Nadine and loop around through Cedar/Cauchon as Gord suggested, but I could also backtrack through Nadine/Osler's etc, and back to Kiosk via Club/Mouse instead of Maple/Erables.

Last edited by ATVenture (9/20/2018 6:47 am)

9/20/2018 10:13 am  #11

I was through there three years ago and David creek was not a problem. We didn't even get our feet wet.  A couple of lifts near the lake, then clear paddling.  The portage was a nice, long walk in the woods.  We had no difficulty following the portage.  There was a bridge that was out,  crossing a creek about two thirds of the way to Rosebary.  It was fast flowing and deep when we crossed it. We had one guy jump across first and then tossed the packs across. Then slid the canoe across. And then the second guy jumped over.  We probably should of found some logs or floated across up stream although I seem to recall, that didn't seem like a good idea at the time due to the fast current.

9/20/2018 10:39 am  #12

Due to logistics I think I may start at Kiosk for sure. I am almost ready to make a reservation. Your info is still very helpful about David Cr. as I am meeting another member from this board on Burntroot and he will be doing David Cr. to Rosebary, and then the Nipissing.
I think I am ready to now make my reservation as follows -
1-Erables
2-Nadine
3-Burntroot
4-Merchant via Longer/Big Trout
5-Big Crow
6-Burntroot
7-Nadine
8-Big Thunder
9-Out/Reserve Whitebirch as a backup

I may also think about going from Big Crow to Catfish, then Cedar, then Cauchon. I think that will depend how the weather looks on my InReach while out there.

Last edited by ATVenture (9/20/2018 10:41 am)

9/20/2018 2:42 pm  #13

Another thought: Go in at Tim R. access and come out at Magnetewan. I've done this 3 times on Nip trips. Unload at Tim, Hide gear/canoe near put-in, drive vehicle to Mag., Park vehicle, ride bike 1hr back to put-in at Tim access. It's a way of avoiding unpleasant carries at the beginning and/or end of the trip. 
I'm in awe of your itinerary as listed this morning. I don't know how you can paddle/portage all that AND fish brookies. Your original plan included Lavieille, which to me is a good paddle from Big Crow, but a long day if fishing en route. Gives me thoughts of doing my own humble version of en end-of Sept. trip. Whatever your plan, have a good one!

9/20/2018 3:12 pm  #14

ATVenture wrote:

I think I may start at Kiosk for sure. .

Bruh - you've got me doing mental gymnastics with a statement like that lol

9/25/2018 7:03 am  #15

Peek wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

I think I may start at Kiosk for sure. .

Bruh - you've got me doing mental gymnastics with a statement like that lol

I had such a hard time planning this trip it was unbelievable. I now have my permit in hand and am hitting the water very early tomorrow morning, I booked the following - Mag-Shah-Shipppagew-Burntroot-Catfish-Big Crow-Merchant-Burntroot-Nadine-Big Thunder-Whitebirch . 
Managed to arrange a shuttle to Kiosk which I am very happy about, we'll see how it goes. On this route I should hopefully be able to take advantage of some tail winds.

9/25/2018 8:34 am  #16

i will meet you on burntroot, sometime sat. depending on the big trout winds?

10/01/2018 10:23 pm  #17

I got out on Tues. the 25th, paddled up Opeongo, across Proulx and Big Crow, down the Crow to Lavieille, then back the way I came. Good trip, but very windy and rainy for my two-nighter on Lavieille, so didn't get out much on the lake. I hummed and hawed more than usual about planning this route and continued humming and hawing even till Windy Point halfway up Opeongo. I did the trip back down Opeongo today in beautiful weather. The difference in fall colour over 6 days was amazing. This thread probably planted the seed to do this trip at this time, so thank you ATV.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.