You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2018 10:11 am  #1

Camping on sites with fresh bear scat

I’m in the park right now on Sproule Lake and there’s what looks like fresh bear scat right behind the site. Is it stupid to stay? The west gate information centre made no mention of bear issues when I checked in.  I don’t really like the other sites and I’ve got a good hang set up, but curious if you guys see fresh scat as an obvious sign to get out of there asap.

Here’s an image: https://postimg.cc/image/x3pm825rv/

(Someone correct me if I’m wrong in thinking it’s bear scat)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

9/14/2018 10:19 am  #2

Re: Camping on sites with fresh bear scat

Looks more like moose to me.  If it were bear, I wouldn't actually worry too much although I would be extra careful with food hang, clean cookery, etc.  

Bear scat looks a little more like human feces although typically very dark brown or black and usually with visible seeds - especially when berries are ripe.

9/14/2018 10:35 am  #3

PaPaddler wrote:

Looks more like moose to me.  If it were bear, I wouldn't actually worry too much although I would be extra careful with food hang, clean cookery, etc.  

Bear scat looks a little more like human feces although typically very dark brown or black and usually with visible seeds - especially when berries are ripe.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it was moose initially but wasn’t sure. I found what looks like paw prints as well, but they’re only partial so might just be paranoia setting in.

I’m as by the books as it gets when it comes to food/scents; I’m doing a ‘just add water’ dehydrated meal, so no cleanup.. day clothes hung in barrel overnight, etc. Worst case scenario I wake up with no food and im only an hour from my car lol

Found some more a bit closer to the site, in case this helps identifying if it’s a moose:

https://postimg.cc/image/6djc2iquz/
https://postimg.cc/image/85caxfhxn/
https://postimg.cc/image/8uv39t5mj/

edit: this set definitely looks more like moose to me

And my lovely bear hang, a good 20-25ft high and 5-7ft from trunk: https://postimg.cc/image/rn6ydaeuj/

Last edited by trippythings (9/14/2018 10:36 am)

algonquinbeyond.com

9/14/2018 10:40 am  #4

Agreed - Looks more like Moose poo than bear.  I also agree that you should be especially vigilant in your bear prep for the night.

9/14/2018 10:47 am  #5

I don't think you can tell for sure unless you do a taste test. 
M

PS. Definitely moose.

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (9/14/2018 10:47 am)

9/14/2018 10:57 am  #6

Thank you everyone for the replies. Now that we’ve established it’s probably moose, let’s say it was bear... would you stay and be extra careful, or would you go?

The only time I’ve encountered what was unambiguously bear scat, was on Sandy Lake in Killarney. We also followed very clear, fresh bear tracks from the last portage leading into the lake. Only one site on the lake and it was too late in the day to turn around, so we had to stay. But I think we would have left if we had a decent alternative.

algonquinbeyond.com

9/14/2018 11:12 am  #7

I stayed on the Rain Lake Island site many years ago, and we decided to hike to the other side of the island to see that campsite.  We encountered some fresh bear pooh on the way. Our concern was "is the bear on the island right now?"  We concluded it wasn't...or probably wasn't, and went on our way.  We stayed, no issue.  If I encountered fresh scat was really, really close to the site, I guess I'd think twice, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.  For one thing, they move around over a really broad territory, and for another, the next campsite isn't going to be far enough away to do you a lot of good.

9/14/2018 12:51 pm  #8

I always assume I'm within smelling distance of bears when in the bush.  If the moose are using the site for water access you might want to watch the placement of your guy lines.  Not sure if they ever walk through them but I remember being concerned about it on a site that had a clear trail and moose shyte everywhere.

9/14/2018 1:06 pm  #9

If I came to a site with fresh bear sign, and you could tell they were successful in finding food (previous occupants left food ...) I'm out of there.  But if it is a clean site and it looked as if he left without reward - I figure he won't be back for at least 2 days or more.  I would just use extra caution with all the bear prep, and all.

9/14/2018 1:48 pm  #10

dontgroandaddy wrote:

If I encountered fresh scat was really, really close to the site, I guess I'd think twice, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.  For one thing, they move around over a really broad territory, and for another, the next campsite isn't going to be far enough away to do you a lot of good.

Well the picture I posted was pretty much right on the site, between the main area and the thunder box. But it looks like it’s moose anyways so I’m not overly concerned. And I agree with your next point, that’s exactly why I stayed

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

I always assume I'm within smelling distance of bears when in the bush.  If the moose are using the site for water access you might want to watch the placement of your guy lines.  Not sure if they ever walk through them but I remember being concerned about it on a site that had a clear trail and moose shyte everywhere.

A few years back my friend heard a large animal during the night, and when we woke up one of our tarp lines was snapped right in the middle... he thinks a moose walked right through it. Ever since then I’m cautious about pitching my tent in the middle of a path... cornered by the water or thick bush is my preferred spot

Doug.Singlemann wrote:

If I came to a site with fresh bear sign, and you could tell they were successful in finding food (previous occupants left food ...) I'm out of there.  But if it is a clean site and it looked as if he left without reward - I figure he won't be back for at least 2 days or more.  I would just use extra caution with all the bear prep, and all.

The site is surprisingly clean relative to what you would expect for something so close to an access. There’s a double tree hang set up near the thunder box, with multiple loop holes to attach/hoist your food, but it’s incredibly low which isn’t very reassuring... like I can easily grab it without jumping. That being said, the surrounding area doesn’t have any garbage, which means if that hoist was used unsuccessfully and a bear did get into food on this site previously, the people took their time to clean everything up. Either way I’m here for the night so I’ll report back in the morning. Or I won’t, in which case send help :D

algonquinbeyond.com

9/14/2018 8:59 pm  #11

Moose.

Now go fish the West shore on the south side of the lake and catch a nice splake!!! More fish pics, less poo pics :-)

9/19/2018 11:07 pm  #12

My husband and I were camping at Kingscote Lake for 4 nights, middle of August and on the last morning there was very fresh bear scat complete with choke cherry pits within our site and not far from the tent.  We had slept very soundly that last night including our small pomeranian dog and heard nothing.  I couldn't wait to pack up !  Here's a pic. Sorry I didn't know the picture was going to be that big !!

Last edited by oliversslane (9/19/2018 11:10 pm)

9/20/2018 6:39 am  #13

That's exactly how I expect bear scat to look. Every time I've seen it there was solid scat with liquidy stuff around it. (too much detail?)

Last week when I went into Manitou Lake I thought for sure I seen bear scat, but on my way back out I dropped all my gear to take a closer look and it turned out it was just a decaying mushroom. Not sure on the type, but ive seen shrooms before that were half decayed that look almost identical to bear scat.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.