LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2018 10:30 am  #1

Not Algonquin...a short trip in Quetico

hi there. I went for a nice five night solo trip in Quetico while I was on a break in Thunder Bay.

I hadn't been to the park in 23 years, since 1995. It's bit different from Algonquin that the portages and campsites are not signed, and there are no thunder boxes.

The numbers of visitors are low and restricted. There is no booking of a lake. Instead, you book just your entry into the park online, pay a $100 deposit, pay for the number of nights you want when you get there,and camp wherever you want. They ask your general route and give you advice. I had to alter my trip due to aan activity fire. The number of entry permits into the park is strictly limited at each entry point so that the park doesn't get too crowded. Most of the visitors are American, so as a Canadian it is easy to get an entry permit for the access point you desire, whereas the Americans often have to go farther afield to get an entry point with a nonresident quota spot available.

It was pretty empty when I went, which was surprising because it was the last week of August. Though some areas were more occupied than others, especially near the access lakes, it was easy to find a nice campsite everywhere i went. You really need to keep an eye on your map with regard to portage locations. On three occasions i missed the portage or went into the wrong bay etc.

The photos are not too exciting, but it is definitely a different feeling from Algonquin. It feels much less crowded, kind of like Algonquin in June. And the highway from Thunder Bay is a lonely one. There are literally no towns (besides Kakabeka Falls) between the city and the park. Make sure your car is in good repair haha.

https://neelands.smugmug.com/Canoe-trips/Quetico-2018-Aug-26-31

9/10/2018 7:43 am  #2

Re: Not Algonquin...a short trip in Quetico

Nice report.  I was curious about Quetico, so now I want to go.  Thanks.

9/11/2018 6:27 pm  #3

Re: Not Algonquin...a short trip in Quetico

Glad you liked it. Just a lot of pictures of lakes and portage put-ins and take-outs. But this is the forum for people who like pictures of lakes and portage put-ins and take-outs.

Last edited by Methye (9/12/2018 9:25 pm)

Board footera