You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2015 10:50 am  #1

Solo 3-day on Highland Trail

I've canoed the backcountry multiple times in a variety of seasons/weather, but haven't checked out any of the backpacking trails.  I'm planning on a Fri-Sun (Nov. 6-8) hike on the Highland trail this weekend, and am wondering if anyone has any info on the conditions of the trail.

Anyone been on the Highland trail recently?

Also, I know the "formal" rules re: offseason backcountry camping is to avoid the established campsites.  That said, I spoke to a Warden in May who told me that really only applies when there's snow on the ground (and really only when the snow level reaches above the fire pits).  Has anyone got any advice on this?  I do plan on using an existing campsite simply for convenience, but I would be totally fine with going off-site, too.

Thanks,
HD

11/02/2015 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Solo 3-day on Highland Trail

Hey HD,

Hiking the trail this weekend you will be fine to use the established sites. Info you got from the Warden is my understanding.

I circled a few sites  in blue you may want to try for.

Many of the sites on the western shore of Provoking are good. I like the Faya site too though.

If you do the loop clockwise I like the site circled on the north side.

Harness sites are better then the Head lakes sites. I think 1 of the 2 I circled on Harness is quite good. 

Shawn

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/02/2015 1:55 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply, Shawn - much appreciated!

I'm coming up from Kitchener so I've got a 4 hour drive to get to the park.  My plan is to hit the trailhead as early as I can, though - around 9:30 or so.  I was originally going to hit the Faya Lake site first, but have since seen 2 reports of bears at this site this year and so am going to give it a pass 

So now I'm planning on pushing pretty hard the first day, going counter-clockwise with the intention of getting to the Head Lake sites on the first day.  I hope to get there around 2:30 or so.  Does that sound reasonable to anyone that has done this loop before?

Thanks for the head's up on the Harness Lake site quality - might make that my day 2 stop.

HD

11/02/2015 2:22 pm  #4

Sorry i meant counter clockwise in my first post. Grab the north circled site on your last night.

About 14 kms to Harness sites on your first day. A good hike but you can make it starting at 9:30 or 10 by about 3 pm I would guess taking a good break for lunch on the way down.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/02/2015 3:01 pm  #5

I thought perhaps that the bears would be in hibernation by now.   However, my research was inconclusive as a number of factors affect when bears start hibernating.   Given the fairly warm weather we have had this fall my expectation would be that the bears are not yet hibernating.

11/02/2015 3:05 pm  #6

@Shawn - Nice!  I'll push to Harness on day 1, then!

@yellowcanoe - that's my thought, as well

11/02/2015 4:41 pm  #7

Horsedog wrote:

I'll push to Harness on day 1, then! 

That would be my suggestion. I've done this trail in both directions and find the toughest part of the trail is the 12 km between Harness and Provoking. From Head to Harness is only about another 1.5 hrs and although you may be tempted to stop at Head, come Day 2 you'll be glad you didn't.

Dave

11/02/2015 7:30 pm  #8

Horsedog wrote:

I've canoed the backcountry multiple times in a variety of seasons/weather, but haven't checked out any of the backpacking trails.  I'm planning on a Fri-Sun (Nov. 6-8) hike on the Highland trail this weekend, and am wondering if anyone has any info on the conditions of the trail.

By a strict read of the regulations, the winter "off-site" camping rules kick in on December 1. By the park's practice, they kick in when the campsites are covered with snow. So by either measure summer rules still apply.

Re bears at Faya - for what it's worth, kellycamps told us about a bear sighting at a campsite on Provoking Lake in late July, and I saw a bear on the Lo2R-Provoking portage in mid August.

The bear hunting season in all units surrounding Algonquin goes until November 30, so I'd imagine they aren't generally expected to be hibernating yet.

Last edited by DanPM (11/02/2015 7:33 pm)

11/02/2015 7:38 pm  #9

My wife and I did a day hike a few weeks ago, but we only circumnavigated Provoking so I'm not overly helpful.  The sites on Provoking are variable, but the Harness Lake sites are beautiful, as seen from the water. Head Lake sites are decent as well.
Here are a couple of short trip reports you may want to check out.  Im not sure if I posted the videos on Youtube yet, but there are a few pictures here of my hike and a canoe trip past the Harness and Head lake campsites.
http://myselfreliance.com/highland-backpacking-trail-algonquin-park/
http://myselfreliance.com/harness-lake-algonquin-park/

11/03/2015 8:10 am  #10

Thanks for the very helpful responses, everyone!  I'll post a trip log when I'm back.

11/04/2015 8:46 am  #11

Make sure you do the little side trail to the Starling Lake lookout. And when you do, don't stop when you first get a nice view, the better lookout is just a few steps further where the trail ends completely.

Last edited by DanPM (11/04/2015 8:46 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.