You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2018 8:09 am  #1

Is there an GPS rescue app?

Are there any gps rescue service apps? something like SPOT but just through your phone.

8/20/2018 11:55 am  #2

Re: Is there an GPS rescue app?

If you have cell phone reception, you would just call 911.  If you don't have cell phone reception, a "rescue app" on your phone can't call for a rescue anyway.  SPOT, Garmin inReach etc work by using satellite connection.  They don't need cell phone reception to work.  That's why they are most useful in areas with no, or spotty, cell coverage.

8/20/2018 4:39 pm  #3

yeah i was wondering if there is an app that works with your phones gps function...

8/21/2018 12:11 am  #4

That's not possible.

GPS tells you where you are - it cannot transmit that information to anyone else. Your device must transmit that to someone else all by itself - using a cellular connection in the case of a phone, or a satellite connection in the case of a SPOT or inReach.

So, as Yc pointed out, for a phone no cell service = no way to transmit your location.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

8/21/2018 12:25 pm  #5

Hi Jeff

How was your trip?

8/21/2018 3:32 pm  #6

Haha, it was challenging.

We did the first two loops of the Western Uplands trail this time. It's the first time I've gone backpacking in 15 years, and although we packed super light (<15lbs base pack) we ended up having longer days than expected.

This was the first trip where it legitimately seemed like we might not make it out on time, so we began rationing food. Luckily we made up a ton of distance on Sunday and got out yesterday night as planned.

We need to get into better shape (both me and Deki!)

Still, lots of good memories, and it was especially rewarding when we pushed hard and made the distance we needed to on Sunday =)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

8/21/2018 4:08 pm  #7

Awesome. I did that trip many years ago before my kids came into my life. It’s really quite nice. Some fantastic campsites and some not so fantastic. Hopefully more of the fantastic variety for you guys.

Glad to see you’re still taking time to enjoy the outdoors this summer I know how hard you guys are working on Unlostify but recharging the batteries allows you to burn them down again. Seems like that’s my life in a nutshell.

8/24/2018 11:06 am  #8

This just popped up on my FB feed. You can't buy it yet but the tech apparently exists to turn your smartphone into a satcom device:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bivystick-simple-satellite-communication#/

8/25/2018 5:12 pm  #9

The regular Garmin and the new Garmin Mini can be paired, via Bluetooth, to your cell phone or tablet.  That makes using these devices easier since the cell phone or tablet will have a bigger screen.  It seems that the Bivystick is doing the same thing.  However, requiring pairing the emergency device with a cell phone in order for it to function creates a point of failure.  Cell phones/tablet are generally less water resistant or durable.

8/28/2018 11:42 am  #10

Yc - I think the advantage to the Bivystick is that it claims there will be no activation or monthly fees. If true that is a big game changer.

That being said, I'm extremely skeptical of their claims. Far too many Kickstarters never see the light of day or if the do lack much of what they claimed it would originally do.  I’ve had the pleasure of working with Iridium and Globalstar satellite network providers at one of my past jobs as we developed GPS trackers/loggers for other applications and both of them would laugh in your face if you suggested allowing users to use their networks without those fees.  It is them who charges and collects the fees, not the people selling the hardware (Garmin, Delmore, etc).  That would be like if I designed a new car and said you wont need license plates or a driver's license to use it.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.