You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2018 7:55 am  #1

Thanksgiving in the back country

For the last several years, we have done thanksgiving in Algonquin with my parents, but the last couple years have been...not so fun.  Between tour buses, people blatantly disregarding rules, and just the sheer number of people, it's become more stressful than relaxing. I've never looked to see how busy it is for canoe tripping that weekend because my dad was nervous about being in a canoe.  We've gotten him out on a few day trips and did a weekend on Opeongo this summer, and he enjoyed it so we were hoping to do an interior Thanksgiving this year.

My question is, do the access lakes get busy?  We were thinking of Rain Lake. (We could probably do a short portage or two, but we were hoping to take some luxuries so would rather not.)  At this point we are kind of playing it by ear.  The car campgrounds are pretty much full, but most of the access lakes have one, maybe two sites booked (at least for the friday night)  Does anyone know how full the easily accessed lakes get for that weekend, or is it likely to be dependant on the weather?

8/25/2018 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Thanksgiving in the back country

In my experience the campgrounds fill up as well as anything road accessible from Highway 60. Even the interior lakes accessed through access points on 60 will be almsot dead. If you choose Rain Lake i'd bet youll be fairly secluded, it definitely won't be nearly as busy as summer.
As far as Western Access Points I think Tim River / Tim lake would be a great option. Keep in mind there will more than likely be logging noise heard from both Rain and Tim this fall, they have been taking truck loads of equiptment in the area of both access points.

Last edited by ATVenture (8/25/2018 12:19 pm)

8/25/2018 12:32 pm  #3

Hwy 60 will obviously be jam packed, but like ATV said the interior will be pretty quiet. Given the time of year and the fall colours, I would try and work in a short hike if possible (depending on capabilities).

You can do Cache Lake to Tanamakoon; no portages, and can hike Skymount off Cache on one of the days. Or do Rock into Pen, which is one really short portage, you can literally triple carry (so the parents don't need to carry anything and you can still bring luxuries) and it will only add 20min onto your day. Then hike Booth Rock trail on one of the days.

I've never done the Western Uplands backpacking trail so I don't know if there are any good lookouts near Rain Lake area, but I'd highly recommend getting somewhere elevated (ie. Skymount of Booth Rock) to really admire the fall colours.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/26/2018 3:56 pm  #4

The Western Uplands Trail doesn't have any notable lookouts on Rain Lake but if you continue hiking to where the trail/old bridge crosses Islet Lake then you should get some good views from there.

8/26/2018 8:08 pm  #5

Thanks for the input!

Rock to Pen is on the list of potentials as well.  My husband and I stayed on Pen for our first back country trip and saw 6 moose, and we were only there for one night.  

The biggest reason we were thinking Rain Lake was just to avoid the traffic on Highway 60 when we are heading up.  The line up of cars at the west gate can get ridiculous.  

8/27/2018 10:00 am  #6

We did Thanksgiving in Algonquin last year and went in at Canoe Lake. We were a bit worried because the store and restaurant there was very busy. As soon as we were half way across Canoe Lake, it was nearly dead. One easy portage into Joe Lake and it was very quiet. 

I love the Canoe Lake area but avoid it because it gets so busy in the summer. Going in the fall is a nice option. 

8/28/2018 9:26 am  #7

Hi Claire.  That's a very good point.  We've never done a trip out of Canoe Lake.  We have, however, sat on the deck when the leaves were at peak, and watched what seemed like every canoe ever made head out onto the water.  Logically, I knew most of them were people who were trying it out for an hour.  That's definitely an option I hadn't considered.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.