You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2018 8:23 am  #1

Meteor shower

Curious if anyone caught the August meteor showers in the park ... ?

8/24/2018 8:34 am  #2

Re: Meteor shower

They peaked on the 11th and 12th I believe... I was there 9th to 11th. On the 9th I saw a few, maybe 3-4 in the 30-40minutes I lay under the stars. On the 10th we were too tired to stay up late enough to watch the stars lol. And on one of the peak nights, the 11th, we saw about 10 in 30-40minutes. It was a really high frequency, but most weren’t very strong/bright.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/24/2018 11:01 am  #3

I was out with a buddy on a 4 day trip during the peak days of the showers. We saw plenty of meteors late at night with some really impressive large ones that looked like fireballs exploding through the sky. It was the best display of showers I have ever seen. Not having the moon around completely helped with keeping the sky nice and dark

8/24/2018 11:01 am  #4

I did!

We were out on Aug 10-12. We didn't plan to be out for the shower but my gosh, I need to accidentally schedule a trip during that every year!

On Friday, I woke up in the middle of the night to use the thunder box and laid out on a rock for a bit and saw 10 shooting stars in just as many minutes.

On Sat, we all laid out and enjoyed an incredible show with a few REALLY BRIGHT ones. It was pretty magical. 

8/24/2018 3:06 pm  #5

Sounds like you folks had a pretty good show ... my youngest kid is pretty much ready for bed once the sun goes completely down so I've never planned an august trip with them yet for the meteors. 

One of these days it will all come together.  We have gone out and watched the space station fly over a few times in late fall though ... not nearly as exciting as meteors though ...

thanks for the stories ... ..   

8/25/2018 8:02 am  #6

We were on Opeongo from the 9th to the 11th.  The first night we were too tired to stay up and the second night I saw a couple when was cleaning up from two of our group being sick in the middle of the night.  We were supposed to be there two more nights but ended up leaving early since they still weren't feeling well the next morning.  The whole trip was planned around watching the meteor shower.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.