You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2018 4:16 pm  #1

Telescopic rods?

Just wondering if anybody has tried any of the telescopic rods out there. I'm relatively new to fishing and was looking to purchase a rod that was portable and compact (not a lot of storage in my condo) to take on my next trip to the park in September.

8/19/2018 5:08 pm  #2

Re: Telescopic rods?

With a telescopic rod your action won't be as good, and the rod strength will not be as good.

A rod is really really compact. If you really need the space, take the reel off while storing.

If length is an issue, consider a 4-piece rod. But again, I don't see this being a problem in an apartment. The 4piece rods are more for cycling trips, maybe backpacking trips.

Cheers
Marko

8/20/2018 1:51 pm  #3

I use one I got at walmart for $20 that works pretty well.  Just dont use the ones at the Dollarama, those will break the first time you catch a fish

8/20/2018 9:26 pm  #4

Yeah I also use a $20 telescopic rod. There are better telescopic rods on the market for sure. I'm sure a lot of serious anglers would consider what I use an abomination, and have valid reasons. But the fish don't seem to care too much.

8/21/2018 6:19 am  #5

Nothing wrong with a $20 rod. But a regular $20 rod (ie 2-piece) will be far more durable/better than a $20 telescopic rod.

8/21/2018 8:15 am  #6

Though it's not telescopic, something like this might fit your needs:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/47058/eagleclaw-trailmaster-travel-spinning-rod

I've never used one myself, but I've had my eye on it for a while. Does anyone have any impressions of the 4 or 6 piece travel rods?

8/21/2018 8:53 am  #7

RCShevalier wrote:

Does anyone have any impressions of the 4 or 6 piece travel rods?

I use this 4 piece rod. No complaints..I'm no expert though.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/37574/cabelas-xml-travel-spinning-rods

I like something like this that packs small as I don't usually fish on travel days.Prefer to get where I'm going then fish from there. So something that packs down and slides in my bag has worked well.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/21/2018 9:19 am  #8

I have a similar 4-piece, paid around the same ($80-90). Medium action. I almost never break it down into 4 pieces, generally leave as a 2-piece rod on portages.   Having said that, I do really like it.

I think a 4-piece or telescopic would be more handy if backpacking (vs. canoeing).

M

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (8/21/2018 9:19 am)

8/21/2018 3:21 pm  #9

DanPM wrote:

Yeah I also use a $20 telescopic rod. There are better telescopic rods on the market for sure. I'm sure a lot of serious anglers would consider what I use an abomination, and have valid reasons. But the fish don't seem to care too much.

+1

Dave

8/23/2018 8:36 am  #10

Generally I use a telescopic rod and find a way to cram it into the pack with the reel on it.  I can't stand taking the reel off because clip/lead that is almost always just slightly too large to fit through the first ferrule, and that makes the whole thing a pain in the rear. The result is it becomes difficult to shove in a pack, stuff gets caught on it, etc..  This year I'm thinking of tying the rods of in the boat, un-telescoped, and just leaving them there.  The telescoping feature is probably very helpful for storage in the condo, but maybe you'd find it easier to leave it extended during the trip.     

8/24/2018 9:21 am  #11

I'm a pretty avid angler so I like to have the strength and feel of a two piece rod.
When I go to Algonquin I bring two 2-piece rods.  1 is a medium/light power for brookies, and the other is a medium/heavy for lake trout and small mouth. 
I use elastic to tie them together.  I usually have one strapped to my pack and one is ready to go in the canoe to troll on the way to a campsite.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.