You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2018 7:06 pm  #1

Opeongo South Bay beauty sites?

I’m taking a few coworkers to Lake Opeongo this weekend; a few folks have bad backs, and they wanted a no-portage trip, and two out of seven are complete newbs to canoeing, so I booked Opeongo’s South Bay.

Any good sites you’ve stayed on? [PCI doesn’t list any...too  “front country” I guess.] Thanks for any info you can give me.

8/15/2018 5:40 am  #2

Re: Opeongo South Bay beauty sites?

We stayed on the site on the south point of Englehart island on Jeff's map. Lotssss of space and tent spots. Nice open area at the front. Landing not too bad. It was nice.  Also to the right of that on the mainland that site is a literal beach. Was taken but seemed nice.

8/15/2018 9:43 pm  #3

Thanks TrevaH.  We will check it out. that beach was visible on satellite.

8/16/2018 6:20 am  #4

Little Englehart island is nice as is the northern site on Wesley Island  Further up, the island site just north west of Fish island is really good.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/20/2018 10:12 pm  #5

Thanks for the input. We had a stellar trip. Didn't get as far up the lake as I had planned, but it was enough of a paddle for the newbies whom I was introducing to canoeing and canoe camping.

We camped on the southeast shore on a point across from Bates Island. The site was fine, and though i personally disaprove of campsite additions, the L shaped cooking shelf was particularly well constructed; solid carpentry skills there.

Only downside to the site was the noisy neighbours on the high rock site next door. But I guess that's the cost of a portageless lake. Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited by Methye (8/20/2018 10:17 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.