You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2018 7:44 pm  #1

Must Have Books

What outdoor books would you put on your "Must Have" list? I'd be interested in hearing what you've enjoyed from every genre. I want to hear about your favorite fiction adventure stories, non-fiction outdoor history, bush-craft skills, nature identification books, etc.

8/17/2018 3:45 pm  #2

Re: Must Have Books

Here are a few good ones, off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

Path of the Paddle, by Bill Mason (the bible)

Dangerous River, by R.M. Patterson (puts everything in perspective)

Unflinching, by Edgar Christian (rare book, when things go horribly wrong)

Canoeing Wild Rivers, by Cliff Jacobson (bible # 2)

The Starship and the Canoe, by Kenneth Brower (just a great story, and all true)

8/17/2018 7:07 pm  #3

Every one of the Horatio Hornblower series.  Read them all when younger, then read them in order as an adult.  

8/17/2018 7:10 pm  #4

Great topic!!

Two additional guides/bibles:
Snow Walker's Companion by Garrett and Alexandra Connover. Whether you winter camp or not, this is well written with a really great viewpoint regarding the rationale behind using traditional winter travel techniques and equipment

Wilderness Paddler's Handbook by Alan Kesselheim. Along the lines of Jacobson's book, this is a guide to long-distance wilderness river paddling. Also, this was the book that made me start dehydrating.

Nonfiction:
People of the Deer by Farley Mowat. Heart breaking, beautiful, should be mandatory reading.

Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid. Like Patterson's Nahanni, another amazing voyage.

In terms of contemporary Canadian writers, right now my wife is reading History of Canada in Ten Maps by Adam Shoalts for the second time this year.

9/08/2018 3:06 pm  #5

I read the kesselheim book wilderness paddling on your recommendation. Definitely a worthwhile read.

9/09/2018 7:34 am  #6

Audubon Bird guide.

They have an app version of the book now, so you don't have to lug the brick anymore.

9/10/2018 9:45 am  #7

Petersons Field Guide is my fav for birds.

I'm also really excited for the new Indigenous Peoples Atlas of Canada. My local bookstore doesn't have it in yet but I'm planning to pick it up as soon as it arrives. I know so little about the Indigenous history of the places I love to explore; this is going to be a cool resource. 
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/indigenous-peoples-atlas-canada-canadian-geographic-1.4806725

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.