You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2018 9:25 am  #1

Hogan or Lake La Muir?

I’m doing a trip in September that will go through both of these lakes and we’re going to spend the night on one. Is one significantly better than the other? My inclination is Hogan because it works better for travel times, but if La Muir is awesome I think we can push on. (We’re coming up from Proulx and heading down to Merchant after).

8/13/2018 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Hogan or Lake La Muir?

Both are nice lakes.  I'm partial to the western site on Hogan's Island myself.

8/13/2018 6:52 pm  #3

I was actually on La Muir yesterday and checked out a few sites I had been curious about. The best site IMO is still on the north shore. Middle one in the group of 3.

I would say it is better than the western island beach site on Hogan ( eastern site) only because if someone takes the nearby site you can hear every word they say. Never stayed on the western island site, just because so many people rave about the eastern beach site.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/13/2018 7:49 pm  #4

Stayed on both lakes but Hogan is 1 of my favourites so my vote goes to Hogan.

8/13/2018 8:22 pm  #5

When I stayed on Hogan two years ago I stayed on the Eastern site on the island.  It's a good site.  You can hike the ridge on the island to the other site.  There's a large raspberry patch when you get close to the Western site.  You'll probably be too late for that in September.  While I was there there was someone staying on the "point" site in the middle of the lake, and I could hear them quite clearly despite the ~1km in distance.  The other site on the island wasn't as good as the Eastern site in my opinion.  The site on the shore near the island has a weedy shore.  The "point" site didn't seem too appealing, and the other site around the corner......I've passed it twice and I don't really remember seeing it.  Probably not good.

From Hogan I passed through la Muir, and the only thing I remember was the site closest to the Hogan portage was taken.  I think it might have had a beach.

I passed through Hogan heading to Philips just a few weeks ago.  The Western most site in Parks Bay looked interesting, with beach potential.  The Western-most site is a huge slab of rock heading into the water.  Also has potential.  If you're not coming from Philips these might be more out of the way if you're heading to la Muir next.

8/14/2018 5:58 am  #6

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like Hogan will work just fine. Looking forward to seeing that part of the Park finally!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.