You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2018 10:11 am  #18

Re: Algonquin Park Fire-out Contest!

Note that the news item cited above refers to municipal fire bans.  Algonquin Park is still included in a wide area that is under a total fire ban imposed by the MNRF, which supersedes any municipal ban. Regardless of rain or other changes in conditions in the near future, it may be a while till the MNRF ban is lifted, due to the demands of currently active fires on available firefighting resources.  There simple aren't enough people or equipment to handle anything more at the present time.

For example, the fire designated Pembroke 6, covering 697 hectares (a little over 1700 acres) is currently burning out of control about 20 miles from where we live.  The crews dealing with it include 20 firefighters from Mexico.  There are also personnel from Mexico working on the big Parry Sound fire, and other crews have come to Ontario from B.C, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia to assist.

Fortunately, there is only one fire burning within the boundaries of Algonquin Park (south of Stratton Lake) at the moment.  We should all make every effort not to add to the total.

For anyone interested in more info about active fires, fire bans, etc. check out https://www.ontario.ca/page/forest-fires

8/06/2018 9:46 am  #19

with this summer forest fire season being one of the worst on record ,, why has the army not been called in to help with the out of control forest fire situations?
   if  the mayor of toronto ( mel lastman at the time )  can call in the army to help clean up after a  snow storm, why not engage the military personal in solving the fire problems

8/09/2018 9:54 am  #20

Hey everyone!
Does anyone know if the park has been getting any rain lately?? I know Toronto got a tone... I'm from Montreal and we've been getting some almost daily for a little while now. Heading up in a couple of weeks!
Thank you!

8/09/2018 10:48 am  #21

so AP tweeted yesterday that they should have some good news SOON.

Not sure how they define soon.. likely not in time for my trip that starts tomorrow.

Good news nonetheless.

Last edited by ShawnD (8/09/2018 11:01 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/09/2018 12:37 pm  #22

I was in the park for 4 days over the past weekend. We had a thunder storm on Big Trout on Sunday night. Monday was overcast with some drizzle in the evening. Nothing crazy though.

8/10/2018 12:54 pm  #23

Well folks, the ban has been lifted - and not a moment too soon. Headed up tonight for a week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Algonquin_PP/status/1027973526752391168?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

8/10/2018 9:16 pm  #24

Woot!  I'm leaving Sunday morning and couldn't believe my luck when I saw that the ban had been lifted -  had to come here to check that it was for real.  Fire ban lifted and low bug count, looks like it's going to be a great week. 

Annie

8/12/2018 9:20 pm  #25

So happy as i'm taking a few total newbs to the park on the 17th and want them to have the full experience with campfire. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.