You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2018 5:48 am  #1

route feedback please.

I’m heading out on a four day trip next Friday with a buddy. It was originally going to be five days, and we had a pretty good route planned, but we’ve lost a day and have to reroute.

the last couple of trips my buddy’s come on haven’t been ideal (it snowed on one and it Furrow Laked on the other) so I want to make sure the route I’m planning isn’t terrible.

We’re going in at Rain Lake. Whether we come out at Rain, Magnetawan or Tim is flexible because we’re getting picked up either way.

One option I’m looking at is in at Rain, first night Ralph Bice, second night Rosebary (by way of Tim’s Lake) and third night Misty then back out at Rain.

I’ve got a few questions:

What are the portages in and out of Casey like? I see they’re long and uphill towards Casey. Is it mountain climbing or more of a steady rise? I don’t want to throw two long, terrible portages at him for the very first carries of the trip.

Anyone done that chain of lakes between Mubwayaka and Tim’s recently? What shape are the portages in?

What’s the Tim like between Tim’s and Shah? Is it relatively open or are there tons of beaver dams/other headaches. It looks on the map like Rosebary to Misty would be an easy enough day, but does the river make it harder than it looks?

Finally, if we did the loop in reverse, what’s it like going upstream on the Tim?

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (7/22/2018 6:21 am)

7/22/2018 11:09 am  #2

Re: route feedback please.

I remember the portages in and out of Casey’s being quite easy.  They were mostly flat, wide paths, with easy and smooth footing.  The only “difficulty” I remember the Casey’s end of Casey to Rain having a bit of a steep and rocky landing...

I belive there was a small, unbridged stream crossing on the Casey’s to Daisy leg too, bit that might have been the only time I had to pause for a second to pre-plan a couple of steps...

7/22/2018 1:47 pm  #3

The portages in and of of Casey Lake are just long with a slow steady rise from Rain Lake and a slow steady decline from Casey to Daisy Lake. They are easy though and well travelled.

As for the stretch of the Tim River between Rosebary and Shah; I asked this same question to a tripper I encountered 2 weeks ago who had just travelled that section. He described it as being easy enough to navigate with "a few" beaver dams. This is pretty much what the Tim River is like between Tim Lake and Rosebary. We had to cross 5 dams to get to Rosebary 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by Wilderness Trekkers (7/22/2018 1:49 pm)

7/23/2018 7:16 am  #4

Thanks guys. Anyone done the stretch between Tim and Mubwayaka recently?

7/23/2018 11:21 am  #5

Hi,

My son and I did the Tim in May, going upriver from Shippagew to Rosebary. There are LOTS of beaver dams from the Shah portage to Rosebary. We counted at least 10-12. We made very slow progress, because of the dams and the current. If you're going downstream, might not be as much of an issue. Then again, the water is so low right now that you'll probably have to hop over most of them. The river is also extremely tight and windy in a lot of sections. Don't plan to make rapid progress in that stretch.

Good luck if you go.

Timmu

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.