You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2018 4:34 am  #35

Re: Total Fire Ban for Backcountry effective July 10, 2018

trippythings wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

We sell something similar at Algonquin Basecamp if anyone is going into Access 2, 3 or 4.

Just called Chris again the other day to confirm my reservation... make sure you're there when you guys open on Thurs Aug 9!

Ill be there at 7am.  See ya then buddy

7/13/2018 9:14 pm  #36

trippythings wrote:

If you don't already do this, you should check moonrise timing as well. A full moon is only a problem if it's up in the sky between sunset and the time you want to sleep... but often the full moon can rise later than that. My ideal scenario is full moon rising at 10pm or so... watch the sunset, stargaze, maybe get lucky with a pretty moonrise, then call it a night. Moon rise times shift by about 45min each day, so it's a lot more variable than sunsets and sunrises

Yes, moon rise times shift all the way around the clock. But moon rise times correspond with moon phases, and the closer to full the moon is, the closer to nightfall it will rise and the closer to dawn it will set. In other words, the brighter the moon is in the night sky, the more of the night it will be up for. So you can't actually have a full moon that lets you view the stars in full splendour before it rises. But a few days after a full moon you could still have a moon that's in between half and full and rises after 10 pm (in summer).

All this is because the reason for a full moon is that the moon at that point in its orbit is opposite the sun from our perspective, so we view the moon with the sun at our backs at see its face fully lit. And being opposite the sun means it rises at about the time the sun sets.

7/14/2018 11:00 am  #37

DanPM wrote:

trippythings wrote:

If you don't already do this, you should check moonrise timing as well. A full moon is only a problem if it's up in the sky between sunset and the time you want to sleep... but often the full moon can rise later than that. My ideal scenario is full moon rising at 10pm or so... watch the sunset, stargaze, maybe get lucky with a pretty moonrise, then call it a night. Moon rise times shift by about 45min each day, so it's a lot more variable than sunsets and sunrises

Yes, moon rise times shift all the way around the clock. But moon rise times correspond with moon phases, and the closer to full the moon is, the closer to nightfall it will rise and the closer to dawn it will set. In other words, the brighter the moon is in the night sky, the more of the night it will be up for. So you can't actually have a full moon that lets you view the stars in full splendour before it rises. But a few days after a full moon you could still have a moon that's in between half and full and rises after 10 pm (in summer).

All this is because the reason for a full moon is that the moon at that point in its orbit is opposite the sun from our perspective, so we view the moon with the sun at our backs at see its face fully lit. And being opposite the sun means it rises at about the time the sun sets.

I guess I should clarify, when I said full moon in my first response, I was using it as an approximation for when the moon is "close to full" to the point it limits stargazing, not the 1 specific day of the month. In the context of planning trips, which usually last more than just 1 night, I thought it was understood what I meant.

But what you're saying is true, and actually goes along with my point, that you shouldn't avoid tripping when it's (close to) a full moon if you also want to stargaze.

For example the last full moon was at approx. 9:30pm on June 28... one day after the full moon and you'd get a moonrise later than 10pm, and one more day after that and the moonrise would be just before 11pm.. both would be enough time to enjoy the stars before going to bed, and still very close to a full moon. Same goes for July except shift back one extra day, so it would be 2 and 3 days after the full moon.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/16/2018 9:34 am  #38

We spent a night in an Ontario park on Saturday and the partial fire ban was on .. fire between 5pm and 10 pm only.  and only in fire pit.  We caught fish and cooked them up just til about 10pm and it worked out fine ...

But things are dry ... saw 13 deer in 24 hours in the park so they are coming out of the woods more to feed ... they told me it was just a matter of days until a full ban would be on.  We had a bit of rain in the greater Ottawa area but not enough to really matter .. .

7/17/2018 11:51 am  #39

I was looking at the Ontario Forest Fires Map and before my eyes the map changed over to indicate that the region is now classified as "Low" fire risk, probably due to last night's heavy storms. How long might it take for park to officially lift the ban?

7/17/2018 12:54 pm  #40

I really have no idea how long they might wait. I'm surprised to see the fire risk showing low after just one day worth of rain. Given how stretched fire fighting resources are dealing with other areas, I expect they won't be rushing to lift the ban. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.