You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2018 7:45 pm  #1

Tim River/Rosebary in August. Passable?

I am planning a trip from Access Point 2 to Rosebary via Tim River in early August.  If this drought/fire ban continues unabated, would the Tim River be passable?

I've heard that even in a good year, that portion of the Tim is shallow and full of beaver dams.

7/13/2018 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Tim River/Rosebary in August. Passable?

I would think you'd be ok.  We've done that stretch a bunch of times and it's never been a real issue.  Can be a bit tricky lifting over dams and stuff but hey, that's part of the fun!

7/13/2018 8:25 pm  #3

Call Algonquin base camp in Kearny before you go, we found them very knowledgable about the strech between Tim and Rosebary. They were able to tell us what to expect and were right on. We had asked at the permit office too, but they knew nothing other then what as on the friends of Algonquin website. (No low water warning) We did the trip half of September after weeks of hot weather. And water was low, lots of beaver dams, (7!) only a few of which we could run. It was all doable, but not easy. And, as Steve says, think of it as fun!
(That took me a few days btw)

7/14/2018 4:11 pm  #4

tentsterforever wrote:

Call Algonquin base camp in Kearny before you go, we found them very knowledgable about the strech between Tim and Rosebary. They were able to tell us what to expect and were right on. We had asked at the permit office too, but they knew nothing other then what as on the friends of Algonquin website. (No low water warning) We did the trip half of September after weeks of hot weather. And water was low, lots of beaver dams, (7!) only a few of which we could run. It was all doable, but not easy. And, as Steve says, think of it as fun!
(That took me a few days btw)

It took you a few days to reach rose berry?

7/15/2018 7:36 am  #5

Oh that's funny, no it didn't take me a few days to get to Rosebary, it took me a few days to think of it as a fun trip!
We were traveling in solo canoes, mine a pack canoe, which was more difficult to get out of as I had a bear barrel in front of me. THe beaver dams were often not connected to land, but floating masses, and getting out was hard for me. Altogether it took us something like close to 6 hours to get to Rosebary, much longer then hoped for.

7/23/2018 7:53 am  #6

This is a very personal observation. I would do fifty other trips before I travelled the Tim River again between Tim Lake and Rosebary. It is shallow, narrow, choked with beaver dams and has few, if any, redeeming features. Sections of the Tim are 'ditch like' and with the low water this year it's hard to know what conditions will be like. It is easily manageable but mind numbingly tedious. Having said that, it might just be the adventure you are looking for.

7/23/2018 9:40 am  #7

I just finished booking a route that will take me from Tim to Rosebary next week and then I saw this thread. Sigh.

7/23/2018 10:29 am  #8

Even though travelling the Tim River can be difficult and tedious at times, I have witnessed the most amount of wildlife doing that stretch than anywhere else in the park. That makes the adventure worth it for me. Another bonus is that Rosebary Lake has beach sites with nice sandy bottoms. It makes for excellent swimming.

7/23/2018 6:20 pm  #9

We enjoyed the beach but had to deal with the leeches lurking in the sand. We did not see any wildlife along the Tim on the way in or out. We loved watching a big bull feeding on the south shore across from the southern most campsite. It is obviously hit and miss and to each their own. As I say, lots of more interesting and rewarding trips in the park other than the Tim R. Just a personal observation as someone who is more interested in the rocks and the trees and the open water.

8/05/2018 9:12 am  #10

We just went from Access Point 2 to Rosebary and back.  It rained long and hard on Tuesday night (July 31), Wednesday during the day and Thursday night. This stretch of the Tim River  was very passable.  We only had to lift over 3 beaver dams.  There were many more, but they were all flooded.  (Depending on what you consider a beaver dam, there were 5-7 more dams that were flooded.)  6 hours to get from AP #2 to Rosebary, 8 hours to get back. Definitely passable.  And fun!  :-)

Last edited by Yc (8/05/2018 9:27 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.