You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2018 10:24 am  #1

General inquiry about a loop out of Tim river

Hey all!  Looking for any input at all that you wonderful people may have about a loop a friend and I are planning for sept out of access point 2.       The plan is,

Day 1 Tim to rose berry
Day 2 rose berry to timber wolf (is this to long of a day?)
Day 3 stay on timberwolf explore around
Day 4. Timberwolf to Juan jubilee or sawyer
Day 5. Out via access 4 rain lake.

We are both well seasoned paddlers and trippers, single carry portagers.   For an idea of our speed, we can do mag to misty in about 4 hours at a somewhat leisurely pace.     I'm looking for any info at all on this loop.  Things to see.  Good site recommendations on our camp lakes and what we can expect on our routes between camps. 

If I haven't provided enough info please let me know and I'll be happy to go into more detail.    Thank you everyone! I look forward to reading all your tips and tricks!

7/12/2018 2:53 pm  #2

Re: General inquiry about a loop out of Tim river

I can only comment on the part from Tim lake to Rosebary. We did this trip in September as well a couple of years ago and had to content with low water on the creek (river is a big word after the portage from Tim lake) due to its severely twisting nature and many beaver dams it took us longer then we thought to get to Rosebary. We liked the site closest to the north beach, but it was taken and we ended up on a grassy small site in a bit of a bay on the west side. At the time this turned out to be a great choice anyway, as there was a hard sand bottom in the bay and we could swim forever, no leeches either.

7/12/2018 3:44 pm  #3

Regarding the distance from Rosebary to Timberwolf, Jeff's maps indicates a little over 7 hours so I you should be able to do that in about 6, as long as there is enough water in the Tim. My wife and I did the portion of the Tim from the Queer portage down until we gave up at our goal of reaching Shippagew and instead detoured to Shah. Lots of twists, turns, and beaver dams but we made it fine.

7/13/2018 8:56 pm  #4

Tim Lake to Rosebary is lots of beaver dams but a fun trip nonetheless. Tim River from the Queer to Shah portages is a very different character, and sometimes has low water issues, but if you find out that's a problem when you go for your trip you can take the Queer-Little Misty portage instead.

Why are you going all the way to Timberwolf, instead of just camping on Misty? Won't you have to backtrack through Misty anyway? Misty is a very nice lake.

7/14/2018 7:42 am  #5

DanPM wrote:

Tim Lake to Rosebary is lots of beaver dams but a fun trip nonetheless. Tim River from the Queer to Shah portages is a very different character, and sometimes has low water issues, but if you find out that's a problem when you go for your trip you can take the Queer-Little Misty portage instead.

Why are you going all the way to Timberwolf, instead of just camping on Misty? Won't you have to backtrack through Misty anyway? Misty is a very nice lake.

We have stayed on misty a few times in the past and decided this time we would stay on a different lake. We tried to plan this route to be new camp lakes and new travel routes.  We would both agree misty is a beautiful lake. 
As for the queer-little misty route, we have thought about it but again would rather stay with the tim because it's a new route that we have never been on.   But of course that queer-little misty is a fall back option for us.

7/15/2018 6:14 pm  #6

I'd say you planned rather short days except for the 2nd one, which is not too long either. The Tim is never too difficult, never heard of it being impassable. Nice falls on the shorter portage between Misty and Timberwolf. Interesting creeks out of McIntosh going east and south. One perfect site on Shah, not so good ones on Timber, which is often filled to capacity.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.