You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2018 9:46 pm  #1

Maple Creek

Some friends and I are considering doing the Kiosk-Mouse-Maple-Kiosk loop in a couple of weeks. I haven't done the route before (except the stretch from Kiosk to Club) and I haven't been following local conditions as I've been travelling. Weather unpredictability aside, are we likely to have problems with water levels on Maple Creek at this time of year? How is travelling that section of creek in general?

7/09/2018 6:53 am  #2

Re: Maple Creek

I've gone both ways on Maple creek. I've never encountered water level issues along it, but I vaguely remember hearing reports of people having to drag at times. You're definitely doing it in the right direction (downstream) as a couple of the portages are quite steep. 

7/09/2018 11:45 am  #3

We did the creek in August 2010, during probably the biggest drought in the last 20 years. There were few places we had to wade (nice sandy bottom), nothing serious.

7/09/2018 8:03 pm  #4

Went up Maple Creek a few years ago mid-August.  We had a lightly loaded large canoe and were able to paddle the whole thing.  There were a few shallow sections that others with more heavily loaded canoes had to wade some short sections.  It wasn't a big deal for them.  Flat sandy bottom.

7/09/2018 8:15 pm  #5

Thanks everyone!

How are the campsites along the creek, is it better just to camp on Maple Lake on the last night? Is it worth trying to fish the creek at all?

7/09/2018 8:30 pm  #6

The campsites aren’t great, no idea about the fishing. I’d definitely camp on Maple Lake (or Kiosk for that matter).

7/10/2018 4:43 pm  #7

When I was there the water level was pretty low.  You might be able to fish sections, but I didn't bother trying.  I considered camping along the creek, but I'm glad I didn't.  There are better sites elsewhere.

7/10/2018 6:18 pm  #8

Figured as much. Thanks again everyone.

7/11/2018 6:09 am  #9

Anywhere you might have to pull the canoe because of low water you should find a nice sandy bottom anyways so no big deal! Its a beauty paddle any time of day/year! Fish are basically non-existent in the creek/Maple Lake though unfortunately. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.