You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2018 9:41 am  #1

Total Fire Ban for Backcountry effective July 10, 2018

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/algonquin/backcountry/alerts

•     Campfires are not permitted at any time;
  •     Charcoal or wood burning barbeques may not be used;
  •     Portable gas/propane/naphtha stoves or barbecues that have a fuel source with a control valve may still be used; 
  •     Backcountry users must have a portable stove with a fuel shut-off valve.  Biolite or other wood/charcoal burning stoves are not                permitted.

The fire ban will remain in place until further notice and will be lifted as soon as conditions allow.  

Last edited by RobW (7/10/2018 9:50 am)

7/10/2018 10:02 am  #2

Re: Total Fire Ban for Backcountry effective July 10, 2018

Booooooooo

7/10/2018 10:33 am  #3

a bit of rain possible Friday and then Monday. Probably won’t be enough to break the ban though.

7/10/2018 11:24 am  #4

I never thought I would be hoping for rain as much as I am now. Heading to the park this weekend so it looks like it's time to bust out the battery operated lantern

7/10/2018 11:50 am  #5

Yes booooo. Hoping to go on the 20th. Here's hoping for some rain! Let the rain dances commence....
I hate going interior during a ban, it sucks lol

I'm just gone Fishin!

7/10/2018 12:06 pm  #6

Just got an email warning about taking care of how to safely use 'mosquito coils' ...

Hi Barry

Algonquin just went on full fire ban about 2 hours ago.

Can you get a message out to people to be very careful with Mosquito coils. Ask them to put them on rocks or dirt and not hanging on nails that are stuck in trees.

Last year my buddy woke up in the middle of the night and the tent was glowing. He went outside and a big old hollow pine tree was on fire with flames going 20 feet in the air. It took us all an hour to put it out. If Kevin woke up 2 minutes later it would have been too late and we would have been looking at a full boar forest fire. Thanks

Gary Skrzek

7/10/2018 1:01 pm  #7

If APP is on a fire ban you shouldn't be using mosquito coils. Period.

7/10/2018 1:58 pm  #8

Going in Friday.

Plan is to just drink Fireball Whiskey around the pit. Hoping for the same experience.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/10/2018 3:10 pm  #9

AlgonquinGuy wrote:

If APP is on a fire ban you shouldn't be using mosquito coils. Period.

Good point. I hadn't thought that all the way through!

7/10/2018 3:13 pm  #10

Seen cheesy-looking battery operated flickering pseudo-candles. Might serve as a wimpy campfire substitute?  LOL

7/10/2018 3:15 pm  #11

Wouldn't regular candles be considered fire-ban safe? They're not going to throw sparks, can be snuffed out easily. 

I'm actually thinking about some pseudo-campfire options because I'm taking two people into the park this coming Saturday who've never done anything like this and probably never will again. Would like to give them some semblance of a campfire without the campfire. 

7/10/2018 3:24 pm  #12

Make them citronella candles Bob and I think you are all good.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

7/10/2018 3:44 pm  #13

Uppa wrote:

Wouldn't regular candles be considered fire-ban safe? They're not going to throw sparks, can be snuffed out easily. 

I doubt it but as always the final answer is to ask the park directly. Personally a fire ban isn't something that I try to find ways around. 

Here are a couple of fairly recent Canadian forest fires to remind folks of the potential damage:

2011 Slave Lake Alberta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Slave_Lake_wildfire

2016 Fort McMurray Alberta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Fort_McMurray_wildfire

In case anyone thinks that the big fires only happen out west, both Finlayson Point Provinical Park and Marten River Provincial Park  in the Temagami area were evacuated this week due to a forest fire plus another 20 homes in the town of Temagami. 

Officials in Temagami hope to start lifting evacuations following forest fire
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/temagami-fire-update-1.4740649

Last edited by RobW (7/10/2018 3:46 pm)

7/10/2018 3:54 pm  #14

Another piece of information to highlight the serverity of the current fire risk in addition to the closures and evacuations of Finlayson Point Provincial Park and Marten River Provincial park, Lady Evelyn Smoothwater Provincial Park, also in the Temagami area is also closed due to fire risk. Not just a fire ban but closed.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/ladyevelynsmoothwater

Campsite reservation holders will be contacted and offered a full refund or the possibility to change their reservation with no penalty, depending on availability. For more information on reservation cancellations or changes, please contact the Ontario Parks Reservations Call Centre at 1-888-668-7275 from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm Eastern Time. To receive a penalty-free refund, please do not cancel or change reservations online.
We are monitoring conditions daily.  Please visit www.OntarioParks.comfor updates.

7/10/2018 3:57 pm  #15

RobW wrote:

I doubt it but as always the final answer is to ask the park directly. Personally a fire ban isn't something that I try to find ways around. 

I'm not trying to  find a way around anything, and I don't appreciate the implication. Asking the park directly will come down to the specific person you end up talking to, as unfortunately all rules are open to interpretation. I would like to give my cousin and his son, who have travelled here from New Zealand to go camping with me, a great experience in Algonquin, and having a campfire is a quintessential aspect of camping. A fire ban is in place and I will respect that absolutely, as I do all park rules. But if I can find a way to give them a pretend campfire that is within the rules, I will. 

Last edited by Uppa (7/10/2018 3:58 pm)

7/10/2018 3:57 pm  #16

ShawnD wrote:

Going in Friday.

Plan is to just drink Fireball Whiskey around the pit. Hoping for the same experience.

I’m with ya Shawn ! We are headed in at the same time - already compensating for leaving the fire starters at home and packing a little more booze to offset the weight haha only hope it doesn’t turn out like a couple years ago where we had a fire ban going on the entire week that it was raining daily in the park

7/10/2018 4:31 pm  #17

What the rules say.

What you cannot use
In a Restricted Fire Zone:

- have campfires (even in outdoor fire grate, fire place or fire pit)
- burn grass or woody debris
- use burn barrels

I don’t think anybody would  include candles. Heck if candles are included that would mean no matches or lighters either.

Something like this might work.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.