You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2018 9:23 am  #18

Re: Bachelor Party

Shayne74 wrote:

Another suggestion could be Sunday lake. Nice island site with good swimming . Short portage from Access point to the lake .
2 other sites but hell, book all 3 LOL! $12 per night is cheap to have the lake to yourselves.

This looks like it might be the winning ticket. Where does one park when camping here? Does this lake see much traffic of people passing through?

Also, we would need to rent 2 canoes. Which company is recommended for this area, and how would pick up and drop off work?

Last edited by RCShevalier (4/10/2018 9:26 am)

4/10/2018 6:45 pm  #19

Parking is not a problem as there are a few places to pull well off the road.

Looking up the road towards the gate, you can see 1 pull off area on the left. If you squint you can see my blue canoe on the right just before the shaded part of the road. It is at the start of the portage. The red blob at the end of the road is the stop sign for the soposed to be closed and locked gate.
(Pictures May 2015)
IMGP0619 by Rob Howes, on Flickr

A better look at the pull off area and there is more than 1 spot off to the side.
IMGP0621 by Rob Howes, on Flickr

If you have not been there before, when you pull into to Big Pines Trail parking lot you will see a logging road that continues on and all the appropriate signs saying do not drive past this point, keep driving as you wave at everyone in the parking lot giving you dirty looks and probably pointing at you as you drive on.

I can not really speak for traffic, I just passed through and stayed on Sproule. Maybe the odd day tripper but other than the 3145M from Sproule to Opeongo it really does not go anywhere.

Hope this helps a bit

4/10/2018 8:48 pm  #20

Jeffs Map version 4.0 has directions to access A14. From west gate east on 60 to km 41.2. Turn left, north, 1.7kms to access point parking. Catch is it says permit available at east gate. May be able to get from Canoe lake as well but I would confirm. I've never had much issue obtaining permits from other offices.Portage store may deliver canoes to this access as may Algonquin Outfitters(AO personal preference ) We paddled through here from Opeongo  via the 3415 portage. Willing to bet VERY few people will voluntarily use that portage LOL! Unless there are Meanest Linkers  on route you are not likely to have any company.  Enjoy.

4/10/2018 9:15 pm  #21

I have picked up a permit for that access at the Opeongo Office and the West gate and double check with the gate or call the park to confirm directions.

4/11/2018 10:07 am  #22

Something to keep in mind : IF they are actively using that road for logging they will not let you use it to access Sunday Lake. I believe they usually only do this in the fall, but I could be wrong. I'd call in advance to make sure.

4/11/2018 10:21 am  #23

Sunday Lake would be great IF you land the island site. If not, or if there are others booked, then I wouldn't stay there. Camped the island site a few years back and it was really nice, Unfortunately another group took the site right across from it and we could hear everything they said. 
I believe the 3rd site is pretty small. 

4/11/2018 12:20 pm  #24

RCSpartan wrote:

Sunday Lake would be great IF you land the island site. If not, or if there are others booked, then I wouldn't stay there. Camped the island site a few years back and it was really nice, Unfortunately another group took the site right across from it and we could hear everything they said. 

I booked all three campsites on the lake today. We have seven people going so we can divide and conquer the lake.

Thanks for all the information everybody! It's been super helpful.  

4/17/2018 11:56 am  #25

RCSpartan wrote:

I stayed on Sunday lake a few years ago as our first interior trip, the island site was barren,  There didn't seem to be ALOT of space (maybe enough for a tent, and firepit was ok)

The site across from the island was very small, I stayed on the site furtherest east,  enough space for 3+ tents and the firepit is against a large rock overlooking the lake.  I thought it was the nicest site at the lake. 

4/17/2018 12:20 pm  #26

Tim Lake should be an option for you as well,  no portaging and you can rent canoes and have dropped off if needed,    that way if you need more booze it's just a paddle back to the vehicles.    

7/03/2018 12:20 pm  #27

Our trip to Sunday Lake is quickly coming up. We're considering renting a couple of canoes but I'm not sure which company would be best to rent from for that area. Any recommendations? So far I've considered the Portage Store for proximity, or just picking them up at Algonquin Outfitters in Huntsville on the way up.

I'm assuming that no company would deliver to access point A43 with it being a logging road?

7/03/2018 2:03 pm  #28

the closest outfitters is in whitney,, i would go to opeongo outfitters, in the village,, i think they will deliver to your access point,, perhaps free.
   google them and phone them to make sure,  that way no waiting around,,
  i hope this helps?

7/04/2018 2:07 pm  #29

I think the closest may be AO @ Lake Opeongo. You may get them to deliver via the Oxtongue Store if they are running a load in to the park. Not sure the Opeongo location runs deliveries.

7/22/2018 2:52 pm  #30

Just got back this morning from our trip to Sunday lake. We had a great time! Great advice to book all three sites. The island site was great but the other two were lacking and I imagine it would get pretty loud if all the sites were booked. As others have said the island is scarce of wood, but with a fire ban on we weren't concerned with that.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

7/24/2018 10:31 pm  #31

Which outfitter did you end up using?

7/25/2018 10:03 am  #32

Shayne74 wrote:

Which outfitter did you end up using?

We ended up not needing to use an outfitter after all. A couple of guys backed out and one of our party had a 3 seater canoe. It was a beast, but thankfully there was only one short portage.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.