You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2018 8:10 am  #1

Magnetewan Lake Jump Off Site Information

Hi friends,

I'm looking for some information from experienced Algonquinites. 

I booked the site called 'Magnetewan Lake Jump Off" at the Magnetewan Lake Access Point for a night on July 18.  We will be arriving at the park late and I figured we may as well camp at the jump off overnight, then hit the water bright and early the next day for two more nights further in the backcountry.

I can't seem to find any information about the Magnetewan Lake Jump Off site itself.  Does anybody know what it's like?  I promise to add it to the PCI project after visiting. 

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

6/24/2018 8:31 am  #2

Re: Magnetewan Lake Jump Off Site Information

There are 3 'jump-off" sites at Magnetewan. They are all right beside the parking lots at the access point. 
The sites themselves aren't terrible, they have a fire pit and benches, but the sites are all within 20 or so feet of parked vehicles in the lot.
The lake has 4 actual inetrior canoe-in campsites as well as the 3 jump-off sites. If there are any of the actual 'interior' sites available I would probably choose to take one of those instead, even if arriving late. The furthest site from the access point is only a 20 minute paddle at the most from the dock, the other 3 are within 10 minutes. All 4 of the 'interior' sites are fairly decent as far as a backcountry APP site goes.

Last edited by ATVenture (6/24/2018 8:31 am)

6/24/2018 12:21 pm  #3

Thanks very much for that great information, ATVenture.   Pretty much what I was expecting from the jump-off sites. I think the "interior" sites are all booked up anyways, so we'll have to do a quick car camp before hitting the backcountry.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

6/24/2018 3:31 pm  #4

No worries, I will be at that access point at least a handful of times before you so if I remember I'll snap a few pictures!

6/25/2018 12:39 am  #5

You could probably be at all three of the Hambone sites within 30 minutes of arriving at Magnetawan.  The jump off spots are fine if you just need a place to pitch the tent for a few hours but if you still have some daylight to work with, I'd head for Hambone.  

6/26/2018 4:01 pm  #6

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

You could probably be at all three of the Hambone sites within 30 minutes of arriving at Magnetawan.  The jump off spots are fine if you just need a place to pitch the tent for a few hours but if you still have some daylight to work with, I'd head for Hambone.  

I appreciate that, and it was my first choice.  Some of our party are still new to the bush and won't be arriving until after dark, however, so we'll probably play it very safe and stay on Magnetewan for the first night.  I appreciate the insight, I would be doing exactly that if it was just me 

6/27/2018 5:55 am  #7

Jump off #1 : 

Jump off #2 :
[ig]https://i.imgur.com/SLAdm0X.jpg[/img]

Jump off #3 :

6/27/2018 8:58 am  #8

Wow, thanks very much, ATVenture, these are great.  Pretty much what I was expecting, but it's so nice to have a visual preview.  Any of these will do just fine for a quick night before we head out deeper.

Thanks again!

6/27/2018 2:17 pm  #9

I'd take #1 just because of the firewood pile. Haha

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.