You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2018 10:38 am  #1

Solo Kayak Camping: St. Francis to Barron Canyon (and back)

This is the fourth and final video of my Spring trip. I'd decided to shorten my trip and go home on day 7. Shortening the trip meant if I still wanted to see the Barron Canyon, I'd have to day trip it from St. Francis - 8 portages away. Hope you enjoy it!

6/18/2018 12:06 pm  #2

Re: Solo Kayak Camping: St. Francis to Barron Canyon (and back)

Great video Uppa, It was good to see you make and survive the Clover loop. Having someone with you during your adventure must have helped boost your spirits and energy levels when dealing with those gnarly portages. It's mind blowing to see people leave their campsite and not douse the fire pit, very fortunate you came along to do it. Looking forward to seeing more video's and hearing about them in the future. 

6/22/2018 9:45 am  #3

Up_the_Creek wrote:

Great video Uppa, It was good to see you make and survive the Clover loop. Having someone with you during your adventure must have helped boost your spirits and energy levels when dealing with those gnarly portages. It's mind blowing to see people leave their campsite and not douse the fire pit, very fortunate you came along to do it. Looking forward to seeing more video's and hearing about them in the future. 

I was pretty angry about that smoking fire. Why they threw that massive log on to begin with is beyond me (I imagine that was part of a bench) - there was half a bag of firewood sitting there still! The amount of ambient heat coming off that firepit was pretty significant. As I was day tripping the only thing I had was a sponge, so I was at it for quite a while. In retrospect I could have filled my kayak's cockpit with water, dragged it up by the fire then used my pump. 

And yeah, the Clover loop - especially that ridiculous Tarn-St. Andrews portage - is definitely best done with company. It can kick the crap out of your spirits in a hurry. 

6/22/2018 11:39 am  #4

Uppa wrote:

And yeah, the Clover loop - especially that ridiculous Tarn-St. Andrews portage - is definitely best done with company. It can kick the crap out of your spirits in a hurry. 

I’ll agree with this 100%. If I hadn’t had Bob there pushing me on I’d probably still be crossing that thing.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.