You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2018 7:59 am  #1

Welcome to Kiosk: The Mouse Lake Swarm

Hi everyone,

I've got a new trip report up over at All of Algonquin. It's part one of my recent weekend trip (and first ever visit) to some of the lakes around the Kiosk access point. I loved the area and can't wait to go back. I might wait until the end of bug season though.

Drew

https://allofalgonquin.com/2018/06/19/welcome-to-kiosk-the-mouse-lake-swarm/ 

6/19/2018 12:41 pm  #2

Re: Welcome to Kiosk: The Mouse Lake Swarm

My enjoyment of the insect world is always increased dramatically when I am not the one being sacrificed. 

My son and I took a trip in that area in 2016, but went to Birch/Waterclear instead, spending the night on Birch.  You saved yourself a lengthy, steady uphill by going to Mink.  We did not make it to Mouse, however.  We cut our trip a bit short for reasons of my son was too young for a five day trip.  I was a little concerned about Mouse because I had read trip reports where people had trouble locating the Club - Mouse portage.  Doesn't sound like you had any trouble locating it though.

Regarding the Mink - Club portage though.  Well, two things.  One, that portage is flat and wide - I would assume because the vehicle that was attached to those fenders on the Club side was used to transport guys & junk from Mink to the obviously haunted cement structure way back when.  Two, the flat and easy terrain on that portage makes it all the more embarrassing that I fell with my canoe on it.  I went about 34 years between falls with a canoe, and some itty-bitty nub of a root got me.  I bruised my pride considerably.

Looking forward to Escape from Bug Island. 

6/20/2018 6:07 am  #3

we didn’t have any trouble finding the club/mouse portage but I can see why people might. There was definitely a moment near the end of the creek paddle in where I started to wonder if we’d somehow missed it already.

I’m jealous of your 35 year gap between portage falls. I’m still working on getting a one year gap.

6/21/2018 7:34 am  #4

G*****N BUGS!!!  LOL

I too am looking forward to "Escape from Bug Island"

6/23/2018 1:29 pm  #5

You've yet to write a trip report I haven't found super entertaining. You're a modern day gladiator - after all, you sacrificed blood for my amusement. 

6/27/2018 9:36 pm  #6

Thanks guys, Part Two is going up pretty shortly, 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.