LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2018 12:53 pm  #35

Re: Bear bag

Uppa wrote:

In an attempt to save a couple of pounds of gear weight I recently bought an Ursack, which will be heading into Algonquin with me very soon for a 9-day trip. I'll post my impressions of it when I get back. 

Would love to hear those impressions now that your back. I can't decide between the Ursack and BearVault.

6/18/2018 1:09 am  #36

I bought a small bear barrel from REI last year for my backpacking trips. It fits into my pack and gets left on the ground in camp.

Live Outside
www.OutsidewithClyde.com

6/18/2018 7:43 am  #37

RCShevalier wrote:

Uppa wrote:

In an attempt to save a couple of pounds of gear weight I recently bought an Ursack, which will be heading into Algonquin with me very soon for a 9-day trip. I'll post my impressions of it when I get back. 

Would love to hear those impressions now that your back. I can't decide between the Ursack and BearVault.

I'm... underwhelmed with the Ursack compared to my BearVault. The OPSacks you use with it (Odor Proof sacks) are annoying and fidgety to close, and so getting at my food is far more of a pain in the butt. 99.9% of the trees don't have a nice convenient large branch low enough down to tie it to, so it puts me back in the same situation that annoyed me with hanging bear bags - finding a good spot for it. Also I don't bring a camp chair, so my BearVault doubles as a seat on occasion when the ground is wet. 

On the other hand the Ursack drops two full pounds off my pack weight compared to the BV500, which means that despite its drawbacks it will likely become my normal food container, at least for longer trips where weight is a bigger factor. 

Yesterday 2:10 pm  #38

So I'm finally back from my trip and wanted to report back on the bear bag. Unlike Uppa, I didn't have any problems closing the OPSacks.  On my first campsite, I had a perfect branch for hanging the bag and was able to get my rope over it on my first try, but sure enough, at other campsites I ended up using branches that would have been inadequate had I been using a regular bag. In one case, I tied the bag to the trunk itself as high as I could reach for lack of any suitable branches around, not something I would have been comfortable doing with a regular bag. That said, my food was at much greater risk from chipmunks - those little guys were *so* demanding! It was interesting to see them try to get at my food the second it was out of the OPSack, but completely ignore the URSack once everything was stored inside, even when sitting around on the ground unattended during the day. I wouldn't be able to handle the extra weight and volume of a bear vault so I'm happy to keep using the URSack and hanging it on the best branch available but not worrying too much if the "best" is not ideal.

Board footera