You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2018 10:24 am  #1

Travers Lake Access to Eustache and Back

From May 15th thru May 19th we traveled to Travers Lake Access point and worked our way down to Lake Eustache for a couple of nights. The Petawawa River was REALLY high and angry and it probably wasn't the smartest thing for us to go upstream for this trip. But we managed it. We had to create a portage around one area of particularly strong current just east of the Devil's Cellar rapids. The portage from the campsite at the end of the rapids to the Eustache portage was completely flooded out. So we climbed the hill behind our campsite and took the railbed down to where it meets the Eustache  portage. That worked out pretty well. I expected the Eustache portage to be difficult, but while long, it was one of the nicer and easier portages that I've done in the park. We spent two nights on Eustache. What a cool lake! The weather was amazing for us. Not a drop of rain. The only downside was that the nighttime temps dropped down a bit below freezing a couple nights. That was rough...but we managed that too! We were surprised to find a nest of Peregrine Falcons and I was able to get a few photos of them. Disappointed to find the Jim Hudson plague missing (as mentioned in another thread) though. Here are some of the highlight photos from the trip:

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Dr. Carl Sagan

5/30/2018 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Travers Lake Access to Eustache and Back

Nice...  I'm guessing your starry night pic was May 17?

5/31/2018 5:45 am  #3

Markus wrote:

Nice...  I'm guessing your starry night pic was May 17?

Thanks. I believe we had clear skies on the 15th, 17th and 18th.

5/31/2018 6:11 am  #4

Beautiful photos.  You could have used access A52 on Jeff's Map to skip all of the river turmoil...but that would have completely changed the character of the trip.

5/31/2018 11:46 am  #5

PaPaddler wrote:

Beautiful photos.  You could have used access A52 on Jeff's Map to skip all of the river turmoil...but that would have completely changed the character of the trip.

Thank you!

We thought about that...but I wasn't sure if it was ok to park back there. And yeah...we kind of wanted to along the river our first night in. Probably still could have...but everything worked out and it was a fun adventure regardless.

6/01/2018 6:14 am  #6

Gorgeous photos CJ, especially the peregrine! Eustache is a pretty special.

Matt in Ottawa

6/01/2018 10:37 am  #7

MattJ wrote:

Gorgeous photos CJ, especially the peregrine! Eustache is a pretty special.

Matt in Ottawa

Indeed it is! Thank you Matt!

6/01/2018 11:00 am  #8

Awesome pics!  Beautiful area of the park...thanks for sharing

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.