You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2018 3:26 pm  #18

Re: How to not bust an ankle?

Salomon, best boots, best shoes. Nothing else is even close.

5/22/2018 3:38 pm  #19

Salomon are way too narrow for me. I'm still happy with my Asolo boots. 

5/22/2018 9:54 pm  #20

Above all else, be aware of where your foot is going, if you see the rock or root etc odds are you will not slip on it.
(Says the guy who did not see the rock 3/4 up the Stacks Rapids Port and did not twist my ankle when I slipped sideways on it but did manage to pivot at the knee and dislocated it instead)
I tend to glance down a little more often these days.
Footwear of choice these days are Salomon Tech Amphibians, no ankle support but they work for me.  

5/24/2018 8:08 am  #21

Jdbonney wrote:

Salomon, best boots, best shoes. Nothing else is even close.

Gonna have to agree with this. I've had a few other 'top' brands on my feet, but nothing has out-performed my Salomon's. Currently trip with one of their gore-tex boot models and can't say enough good things about them.

I agree with RobW too - Salomon's do tend to fit a little narrow.

5/24/2018 5:08 pm  #22

I wear Salomon techamphibians as my all day 'travelling' shoes in Algonquin (not that those have any kind of ankle support mind you), and my hiking boots are also Salomon, although hiking boots aren't practical for me to take kayak camping (they will, inevitably, end up soaked). I just threw out my old Salomon hiking boots after what I'm sure was almost a decade of service and replaced them with new ones. When I find a brand I trust I'm definitely loyal - and they've yet to give me a reason not to trust them. 

6/10/2018 6:52 am  #23

So Merrel finally warrantied my boots. They didn't have any of the original boots I had in stock so they made me settle for a 'shoe' of the same price range even though I specifically bought BOOTS for ankle support. Their exact words were 'take it or leave it'.
They sent me a pair of the "Chameleon 7' which are their most expensive shoe.
I wore them for 3 days in the park, at the toe on the right hand shoe is already separating from the leather. So after the first use I now need to get this pair warrantied.
I REALLLY wish they would just give me my $ back so I could buy another brand.

6/18/2018 1:05 am  #24

I wear Asolo TP520 hiking boots (see my review at www.OutsidewithClyde.com) and have never hurt my ankles. I also wear orthotic inserts which help with stability and lace them up snug before a portage. Turned (sprained) ankles take time to heal like any joint injury. Have you considered a mild wrap of the ankles with athletic tape? This was a technique I used when I was speedskating competitively. It does not take much to provide extra support and stability. A Google search will show you basic technique.

Live Outside
www.OutsidewithClyde.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.