You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2015 11:46 am  #18

Re: Sleeping bag temperature ratings

Hat and neck warmer has not been mentioned. I think a weakness in two person bags is that you cannot seal the neck area all around both people.

We camped in minus 5 morning temps last week in New Jersey  I did have a baffled bag and it was true to rating.   When its warmer I simply use it as quilt. My Synmat (r value 4.9 ) made a big difference. I was on a cot. I froze one night on the bottom. The next night I remembered the insulating value of a Synmat.

BTW I can use my minus 10 degree bag in the summer too.. it just becomes a blanket.

10/21/2015 6:14 am  #19

Hey everyone. We are heading to algonquin this weekend for the Halloween festivities and I'll be using most of these suggestions for staying warm. My husband and I just bought some -20 bags at Cabelas that are on the low end of the price spectrum and we want to test them out while there's the safety net of my parents tent trailer there should they not live up to their rating. The plan is to finally canoe camp on opening weekend and we don't want to find out they don't work a when we are a days paddle in.

For that reason we are trying to not use bulky or heavy extra blankets for the test run. The ideas previously mentioned will come in handy. We were also planning to put one of the heavier duty SOL emergency blankets under our sleep pads and to tarp our tent to block the wind (it doesn't have a full cover fly). Does anyone else do the emergency blanket underneith?  Does it help?

10/21/2015 6:43 am  #20

Was in the park on Fri night. -5 or so overnight and woke up to snow and a frozen tent.

Stayed nice and warm though. I have a -12 quilt which I placed a fleece bag liner in and layered. Everything either down.wool or fleece. Wore a light down jacket with hood.

My buddy placed an emergency blanket under his pad and he said it helped. I've never done it but I use the thermarest x therm already mentioned.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.