You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2018 3:21 pm  #1

Bug Report?

Going to Algonquin this Friday May 25. How are the bugs? Mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies? Going to Western Uplands Trail.

5/22/2018 3:39 pm  #2

Re: Bug Report?

Last weekend the only bugs I can recall were a single mosquito that landed on my face the evening we were camped on Joe lake.  While the bugs can only be worse than that this weekend I think we still have some time before they get really bad!

5/22/2018 4:40 pm  #3

I just returned from five days on Erables.. Days one to four, zero bugs - however yesterday they seem to have woken up. They weren't biting yet, but yesterday at 6pm while loading the canoe on the car at Kiosk, they we're definitely starting to swarm. Carmen at the Kiosk office thinks they'll be biting within a few days..

I must say, the bug factor was a pleasant surprise on my trip to Erables. We never set up the bug shelter, nor did we have to spray any deet (which is funny cause I had to go to 3 different stores before our trip to find my preferred spray).

My best advice would be: Plan for the worst, hope for the best - but have fun either way!

5/22/2018 5:20 pm  #4

Saturday morning the mosquitoes were out in the SE corner of the park, but only on the lakes not in the bush, and they were not biting - I'd bet by this weekend that won't be the case - at least not in that corner

5/22/2018 8:20 pm  #5

Got back today from 4 nights in the North end and yesterday they seemed to wake up, more annoying than biting.
Next weekend could be interesting.

5/22/2018 9:08 pm  #6

They are coming....

5/23/2018 9:02 am  #7

Heading in tomorrow morning.. hoping they hold off a little bit longer. or at least aren't too bad.

Prepared for the worst though. My new bug tent is packed( sprayed with permethrin)  and all my clothes and bug jacket sprayed as well..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/23/2018 2:18 pm  #8

Thanks everyone for your replies. We'll see Friday how it goes. Going to be hot weather!

Last edited by Okicamping (5/23/2018 2:19 pm)

5/23/2018 4:41 pm  #9

I was at eastern side of park this past weekend, where there were no bugs Sat/Sun, but seemed to wake on Monday (not biting then however)...  Certainly was nice not being bitten...  Enjoy your trip :-)

5/24/2018 8:04 am  #10

Yesterday, a buddy of mine returned from a cottage in Bracebridge.... completely covered in black fly bites. AP is probably just a few days behind. Head nets are your friend! 

5/25/2018 9:28 pm  #11

Theyre out when the wind stops

5/25/2018 9:54 pm  #12

I'm here right now on Maple Leaf Lake. They are in full force. Not too much biting though. Maybe a bit around 6pm.

Last edited by Okicamping (5/26/2018 6:25 am)

6/06/2018 12:13 pm  #13

Heading to the Park this upcoming Friday. Anyone there recently who can give an update on the bug situation? How does it compare to say last year at this time?

6/06/2018 4:12 pm  #14

I was in last weekend, we went to little trout and back. The Mosquito's and black fly's are definitely out but i didn't find them to be overly bothersome. We just seemed to hit pockets of them. Having said that, with every week that passes they will get worse before they get better.

6/07/2018 12:20 am  #15

Strangely I hardly saw any black flies last weekend.  The mosquitos however were murder in the bush.  Pick a site that will get some wind, it makes all the difference.  

6/07/2018 11:15 am  #16

Thanks all. I'm assuming with all this rain the bugs will have woken up but it's encouraging to hear that as of last week they were not too bad. Windy site is what we are aiming for.

6/28/2018 9:04 am  #17

What's the word on the A.P.P. bugs now? I'll be headed in in a few days with the wife and dogs - we'll be bringing the bug shelter. Was in Temagami a couple weeks ago and was reminded why I havent tripped in June in quite some time.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.