You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2018 7:19 am  #1

Clover Lake: The Redemption, Days 1&2 (video)

Last August I tried to make it to Clover Lake and failed miserably, giving up and going home the same day I arrived. That... did not sit well with me at all, and I decided pretty quickly that I was going to need to give it another shot. When I posted about my failed trip here, I also suggested I'd like some company for the second attempt. A few people were interested, and in the end I did end up having a travelling companion: Drew, known on these  forums as AlgonquinLakes. 

Day 1 was just a lazy jaunt to Carcajou Bay. Drew showed up a few hours later and found me hanging around a campfire with two other people, as I had actually run into someone I knew. Day 2 was our trip to Clover Lake. 

5/22/2018 8:31 am  #2

Re: Clover Lake: The Redemption, Days 1&2 (video)

Glad to see you made it back and had a great day 1 and 2. Awesome camp fire!
Looking forward to the rest.

5/22/2018 10:39 am  #3

Great video Uppa. I thought the supporting cast was particularly strong. That was an awesome trip. Great way to break in the 2018 season. Looking forward to seeing part two.

5/22/2018 12:54 pm  #4

Very glad to see you succeeded in getting to Clover this time around.  You were right that the portage marker on the bank of Macdonald Creek was not there previously. 
Enjoyed the video and am very much looking forward to further installment(s).  I am curious as to what the issue is with the Tarn Lake campsite.
(BTW we were at Achray May 14th as well, but on the water about three hours before you were.  It would have been nice to have the opportunity to say hello.)

5/22/2018 2:40 pm  #5

Nice video, Uppa, and a very timely spring trip report! Glad that you made it through that portage to Turcotte, and ultimately to Clover. That is one beauty site, isn't it?

It strikes me this is the kind of video you get when two solo paddlers travel together. Drew, I would describe your role as more of a cameo, Hitchcock was in his own movies longer than you were in this video. I will look forward to the AlgonquinLakes version.

Matt in Ottawa

5/22/2018 4:39 pm  #6

@MattJ The Algonquinlakes version has significantly more swearing and 50% more crying.

5/22/2018 4:51 pm  #7

I get it. You were edited out. 

5/23/2018 2:59 pm  #8

@Abe: Thanks. The whole trip turned out pretty great, especially after that Drew guy went home. Just between you and I, he was a little weird. 

@AlgonquinLakes: I'm talking about a different Drew of course. 

@dmcelroy: If I'd known, I honestly would have left earlier just for the chance to say hi. So close and yet so far ;). Hope your own trip went well!

@MattJ: The Clover site is incredible, yes. As to Drew's presence in the video, it was the first (and so far only) time I've gone camping with anyone else since I started doing trip videos. Even though he was totally cool with it, I still didn't feel comfortable pointing a camera at him and saying "And... action!". We were out there to go camping, not to film a video, so I kept the imposition of my cameras to a minimum. So not so much 'edited out' as not having a lot of footage of him to start with. 

5/23/2018 3:11 pm  #9

Uppa wrote:

@Abe: Thanks. The whole trip turned out pretty great, especially after that Drew guy went home. Just between you and I, he was a little weird. 

@AlgonquinLakes: I'm talking about a different Drew of course. 

Yeah, I couldn't wait for that guy to leave. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.