You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2018 12:33 pm  #1

Blue Green Algae!

Just looking at the advisory page on the friends site and there are now warnings on 3 1/2 lakes including Lake of Two Rivers.  Gave me a brief moment of panic whether this will be the last generation that the park will be what it is as there doesn't seem to be any usable treatment other than reduce nutrient flow and wait.

Guess it's just added pressure to make use of it while we can.

5/12/2018 2:50 pm  #2

Re: Blue Green Algae!

Have they updated the warnings from last fall or is it still last year’s advisory? I’ve been hoping that it would somehow magically disappear over the winter but if this is an updated advisory then that sucks.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (5/12/2018 2:50 pm)

5/13/2018 5:01 pm  #3

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Have they updated the warnings from last fall or is it still last year’s advisory? I’ve been hoping that it would somehow magically disappear over the winter but if this is an updated advisory then that sucks.

That's what I'm assuming, they might be taking the 'better safe than sorry' route for now until they know for sure?

5/13/2018 5:15 pm  #4

The advisory for Lavieille and Ryan has been in effect since 2016 - so I presume the problem is ongoing.

5/13/2018 7:06 pm  #5

Peek wrote:

The advisory for Lavieille and Ryan has been in effect since 2016 - so I presume the problem is ongoing.

This problem I'm sure is probably still an issue, but I think the Two Rivers one has been in affect here and there over the last couple of years? I might be thinking of something else though.

5/13/2018 7:21 pm  #6

ATVenture wrote:

This problem I'm sure is probably still an issue, but I think the Two Rivers one has been in affect here and there over the last couple of years? I might be thinking of something else though.

I think you're right - but in years past, I don't think it was the algae on LOTR, I think it was a different kind of bacteria due to overuse at the public beaches (I could be wrong - but I'm positive I read something to this effect over the last few years). Similar to when other public beaches reach bacteria levels that pose a risk to human health. It happens all over every now and then.

5/13/2018 7:22 pm  #7

Peek wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

I think you're right - but in years past, I don't think it was the algae on LOTR, I think it was a different kind of bacteria due to overuse at the public beaches (I could be wrong - but I'm positive I read something to this effect over the last few years). Similar to when other public beaches reach bacteria levels that pose a risk to human health. It happens all over every now and then.

E-coli I think? That just came to my head when reading your post. 

Last edited by ATVenture (5/13/2018 7:24 pm)

5/13/2018 7:26 pm  #8

Yes! I'm pretty sure that was it!! lol nailed it buddy

5/14/2018 4:53 am  #9

Isn't there some MNRF expert on this board that could set us straight?

5/14/2018 6:34 am  #10

Pretty sure the cormorants and Canada geese are playing a part in this along with increased water temperature.

5/14/2018 7:06 am  #11

rgcmce wrote:

Isn't there some MNRF expert on this board that could set us straight?

Perhaps stuck in the ice on Cedar..

5/14/2018 7:44 am  #12

"Pretty sure the cormorants and Canada geese are playing a part in this along with increased water temperature."

Exotic algae species being brought in by waterfowl flying from lake to lake have been suggested as a reason for more blue-green blooms occurring. So have climate change and higher temps, and longer periods of warm water temps, esp where lakes are nutrient-poor like in APP.

There are blue-green blooms in the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario every year, and where there is a bloom there are advisories to avoid water use and contact. But in the BoQ, the reasons for blooms are high nutrient levels which have been known to be a cause for a long time. The reasons for blooms in nutrient-poor lakes (APP) aren't as well understood.

IIRC water use restrictions might be issued when toxins exceed critical levels, like 20 ug/L microcystin... I haven't seen anything on toxin levels from water samples taken in APP.

BoQ water is sampled intensively for toxin levels since there are thousands of shoreline residents and users so the funds for monitoring are made available and there's a critical need. Monitoring of APP lakes isn't going to match that kind of intensity since there are fewer users in the area and problems will exist associated with remote lake access and costs. 

I'd stay out of water that looks like green paint, OTOH since there probably isn't a great deal known about the APP blue-green blooms, there could be something different going on. The larger, long-term trend seems to be increasing blue-green blooms in lakes throughout Canada, in nutrient-rich and nutrient-poor lakes.

5/14/2018 1:13 pm  #13

Jdbonney wrote:

Pretty sure the cormorants and Canada geese are playing a part in this along with increased water temperature.

That makes sense, I used to spend opener every year on Dickson and one of the islands on the lake was completely taken over by cormorants, I think we counted 50 or so on one tree alone. Seems to me that would be an easy fix though! There was a study done according to Friends of Algonquin park website checking if core samples show a history of Blue Green Algae on Dickson but the results were never posted, on the bright side it mentioned that Hardy Bay was likely a result of runoff from the river to Dickson not a different bloom. An update would be nice though, nothing new in the last couple of years.

5/16/2018 7:28 am  #14

I winter camped a lot at Mew this winter. And camped at LOTR and Mew the week-end they posted the advisory in Sept. I asked the warden if the water was OK (winter) he said its fine. He told me they actually pumped water from LOTR for Mew lake. He said you could drink it right out of the tap! I brought my own water anyway's. Hopefully it's just precautionary. Like Peek said, I think it has something to do with the beach use. They've had a few advisories over the years.  

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/16/2018 8:21 am  #15

All I know is its a shame since these lakes are scenic and usually great fishing ...

6/13/2021 1:15 am  #16

Apparently this story still had legs as of early summer 2021.

6/14/2021 9:41 am  #17

I expect the boil water advisories are not related to blue green algae.  Killing the algae with chlorine or by boiling etc releases toxins making the water worse.  It is certainly too bad that we are seeing growing algae blooms. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.