You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2017 6:05 pm  #1

Seeking input on trip plan starting at Kawawaymog/Tea Lake...

Hi All,

The last number of years in Algonquin have involved backcountry hikes and we're looking at transitioning to a canoeing or kayaking trip in early July.
A bit of a backgrounder:
- There are 3 of us, mid-40's and in very good physical condition
- I did a couple of multi-day canoe trips in Algonquin in the late 80's as part of a group - the others have a bit of experience canoeing as well
- I have tried kayaking and love it - really appreciate the speed and stability - the others aren't as familiar with the kayak

We're looking at doing the following loop:
Day 1 - Kawawaymog to Lorne
Day 2 - Lorne to Fassett
Day 3 - Fassett to Manitou
Day 4 - Manitou or Tea
Day 5 - out

So, here are my questions:
I assume the loop is good to do clockwise?
Is my timing reasonable for this route?
Any opinions on kayaking vs. canoeing? If canoeing, would a larger 3-person canoe fit the bill (our combined body and gear weight would be about 625 pounds)

I have read an old trip report from Mark Rubino and was wondering if anyone else has camped on Shad Lake since then? The lake kind of intrigues me, but it sounds like the sites are bad - has anyone been there in the last few years?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any feedback!

Cheers,

Rich

3/30/2017 6:46 pm  #2

Re: Seeking input on trip plan starting at Kawawaymog/Tea Lake...

Hey Rich,

I was through that loop 3 years ago, clockwise. It's definitely not a well travelled route. Your timing is fine, yeah. I exclusively kayak camp but I wouldn't suggest your group take kayaks on that loop, at least not unless you're all really serious about it are all well prepared. I spent a night on Fassett but didn't poke my head into Shada, so can't help you there.

3/30/2017 8:05 pm  #3

It's a great area for a trip, clockwise is the way to go and your daily goals are do-able but I wouldn't recommend doing it quite the way you've laid it out here; 

-If the plan is to use kayaks, you'll need some type of yoke or cart for them, otherwise those 1.5km+ portages are going to be brutal, a canoe would be a better choice with that much portaging.

-Moving every day always appears feasible during the planning phase but nature has a way of shutting that down real quick, Manitou and North Tea can often become unmanageable, planning the trip so that you have a spare day (where you're not obligated to move from the campsite) takes into consideration the weather and also gives your group a little R&R.  The spare day doesn't have to follow a rigid schedule, use it when you find a beautiful spot that you want to linger at or if the weather demands it.  Also, if everything goes well and you do stay on schedule, there's nothing stopping you from leaving early, but being late creates obvious problems for everyone involved...

If you're set on using kayaks, I'd suggest just moving between North Tea and Manitou, less portaging and they're both big lakes that will take all weekend to explore.
If you're set on that loop though, I'd suggest adding a 6th day and switching to a single, big canoe, like a 17.5' prospecteur or something similar.

3/31/2017 6:47 am  #4

Thanks so much for your feedback and advice - I'm feeling more confident about this and plan to book soon. Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds like a large canoe may be the way to go for this outing.

Uppa, nice to know the route is a bit less traveled as some solitude is one of the goals of the trip.
Kurt, good point about building in a buffer day - since the stakes are higher in the water vs. on land, I'll definitely try and factor this in.

Rich

3/31/2017 8:19 am  #5

I wrote my reply from a phone so wasn't exactly long on details. To add a bit more info:

I did that loop in early August. I portaged into Lorne from North Tea rather than via Lost Dog - Sisco. Like you, I spent a night on Lorne and one on Fassett. There was another site in use on Lorne, which were the only people I saw until I reached Manitou. The campsites on Lorne, and especially on Fassett, clearly saw little use. On Fassett I stayed on the site nearest the 1080 portage to Shada.

The trip down Fassett creek was interesting. When I was through the portages had been recently cleared, so no issues there. No water level problems. A few beaver dams, including one monster one that had about a 5 foot drop behind it. A section of the 1325 m portage was flooded from the creek - I was wading well past my knees for about 20 meters. 

Regarding the kayak versus canoe thing: I'm pretty much a kayak camping evangelist, but that's not a kayak-friendly route as it's very portage heavy. Without yokes and a lot of thought put into your packing, you wouldn't enjoy lugging kayaks through that route. You'd love having them once you got to Manitou mind you, but everything preceding that would be a painful slog. 

Last edited by Uppa (3/31/2017 8:19 am)

5/11/2018 11:12 pm  #6

Reading this thread inspired me to write up my report from a trip in 2016. Unfortunately it is too late to help you out. Definitely, the route would be much more challenging to portage the kayaks rather than canoes. I hope your trip worked out. My trip report can be found here: 
http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=16349#p16349 

Last edited by solos (5/11/2018 11:12 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.