You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2018 12:38 pm  #1

Kiosk and Big Thunder

I've got a trip in June that's going to leave from the Kiosk access point. This is my first time out of that access point so I've got a couple of questions,

​1. We'll be arriving late on a Thursday evening. Are the jump off sites easy to find/decent?
​2. Where's the gate/permit office in relation to the launch? I don't think we'll be arriving before the office would be closed, which means we may have to drive back out to the office if it's not near the launch. 
​3. How's the site on Big Thunder? I'm thinking of that for one of the nights, love the idea of a private lake.
​4. Are there sites anyone would recommend on Three Mile Lake?

​Thanks,
Drew

​\ps. I just got a new laptop and \I didn't realize that the shift key was half the size of a normal keyboard, and right beside this \ key. \it's the's worst. 

5/11/2018 1:03 pm  #2

Re: Kiosk and Big Thunder

We are doing that Loop next week. In fact we just switched to Big Thunder because there was another group on Mouse, so I can report on the campsite too. If I don't post, feel free to private message me.

5/11/2018 1:06 pm  #3

1. Kiosk is super easy to navigate - you won't have any problems. I haven't stayed on or scoped out the jump off sites so can't comment on them. 

2. It's literally right at the launch. 20 feet from the water's edge. 

3. I checked it out from the water last Fall and quite liked the look of it. I didn't get out and walk around, but I remember thinking I wanted to come back and camp there sometime. Big Thunder... is not inspiring when you first come in from Mink Creek, but by the time I reached the campsite I quite liked the place. And as you say - a lake to yourself is always a draw. 

4. I've been through Three Mile a few times but only camped there once, and it was years ago. I stayed on the site in this picture and although my recollection is fuzzy, I do remember thinking it was a really nice campsite. 

5/11/2018 2:53 pm  #4

Any fish on Big Thunder?

5/11/2018 3:07 pm  #5

The forum rules don't allow discussion of fishing on very small lakes. That's not a veiled hint that the fishing is good there - I have no idea. I haven't fished in years. 

5/11/2018 5:04 pm  #6

Looking at Uppa's picture above, the site he stayed on did look nice from the water, if I remember correctly it sits on a high elevated rock giving a nice view onto the lake. I went on land and checked out the 4 island sites in the south (3 on one island plus the smaller solo island), you can find my thoughts here: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44357&start=0

The site I stayed on I really enjoyed, but supposedly there was fire damage to the site a year or two back, so don't know it's current state.

Also there's a PCI for Big Thunder site: http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/lakes/BigThunder/BigThunderCS1.htm

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/11/2018 5:57 pm  #7

The Jump-Off sites are kind of a pain to find as a matter of fact.
There are two sections to the campground. The one by the permit office and there is another one that you'll pass a few hundred meters before the main access. To access the jump-off sites you must turn off at the first part of the campground, drive all the way to the end of the road that runs beside the lake and there is a grassy parking area at the end. If you look up towards the big Pheonix bathrooms you will see signs for the Jump Off sites, from there you have to follow a trail that runs beside the bathrooms for about 100 metres, then it will branch off to J1 and J2. The sites are both fairly secluded and right on the mouth of the Amable Du Fond River. Honestly the Kiosk jump-off sites beat most campground sites.

5/11/2018 8:33 pm  #8

Thanks Uppa. Keep forgetting the rules.

5/28/2018 6:27 pm  #9

I posted this in my trip report, but Big Thunder site is beautiful. Definitely worth a stop.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.