You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2018 4:46 am  #1

Thoughts on "Bug-Out"?

I know a sub-discussion on this topic arose already on the ice-out thread but it deserves its own conversation. [Admittedly I haven't searched the entire forum for it--please forgive if I'm duplicating.]

Any observations, thoughts, pearls of wisdom . . . or even superstitions re. 'bug-out' between now and the end of the Victoria Day weekend? I've been planning to tarp camp to minimize weight and bulk but am now getting nervous as black flies are definitely out in my area (rural Ottawa West). Looks like temps are really climbing middle of next week and given how late ice-out is, I'm not sure at all what to expect up in the Park. 

5/09/2018 6:38 am  #2

Re: Thoughts on "Bug-Out"?

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect they will be fine.  The ice is on/off the lakes, bugs won't be a problem for a couple weeks at least.

5/09/2018 6:39 am  #3

I was the one that asked about it a couple times in the ice out thread, but I’d still probably keep asking every week so good idea to make a thread lol. I know there’s a bug status thread that will usually get revived but not sure if people will start posting in it as early as ice out... I think it would be good to have a thread like this with regular updates

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/09/2018 9:13 am  #4

The Algonquin Website will have a bug report available when the need arises . As does the weather network. I'm up for a few days over the long weekend. Not anticipating the bugs to be too bad. 

5/09/2018 9:47 am  #5

Shouldn't this be "Bug IN"?

I'm going in on the 14th for 9 days. Will probably throw a headnet in my pack just in case, but the bug jacket will stay home. 

5/09/2018 10:00 am  #6

wear white, black flies hate white, 
   i wear a white hoodie and a head net and gloves along the trails in bug season. 
 i do have a bug jacket too

5/10/2018 8:52 pm  #7

I am going in on the 14th.  I will bring a bug net for my face - and a brand new bottle of muskol!  

5/11/2018 12:33 pm  #8

I've seen peak black fly and almost peak mosquito season in the first week of june ... that was a typical spring ... The only relief we ever got was on the water and after sundown (it was still colder at night).  But the fishing was great.

This year we see the blackflies emerging in the greater Ottawa area over the last week ... the odd mosquito.  I was in the park in mid may a few years back and there were no blackflies on the first day but by the end of the second they were getting fierce .. what a difference 2 warm days can make.  I would guess within 1-2 weeks the blackflies will be full on in the park ... by full on I mean you pretty much need a mosquito net for head and arms when on land during the day. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.