You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2018 12:41 pm  #1

Dickson Lavieille Loop in Reverse

Hi All,

A few of my friends and I are looking to do this loop. We did it once about 10 years ago and just getting back into the camping scene after kids and mortgages and jobs.

What I wanted to know is if anyone has ever done the loop in the opposite direction, heading to the East Arm on Opeongo and hitting the dreaded portage right away. My question is really the river that empties into Lavieille... can one actually paddle up this river without too much effort or does it move too fast to even try.

It’s not the end of the world if not. We can do the loop like everyone else, but I for one would like to get the portage out of the way, even with a food-heavy pack, than have it loom and stare at me for 5 days beforehand.

Thanks for all your comments and thoughts and advice in advance. Pretty stoked to head out there again. Planning on putting our canoes in the water in mid May if that’s at all relevant.

Cheers!

4/10/2018 1:26 pm  #2

Re: Dickson Lavieille Loop in Reverse

The crow is fairly slow moving lazy river, you should have no issues, the water is moving a little faster near the portages just be careful where you put in. Personally I find the 7 portages on the crow more tiring than the Dickson-Bonfield portage, seems like you just get started and your unpacking an packing all over. I've only done this trip in late April and early May so it may be a different story in low water conditions. Definitely do-able but I would personally do the opposite. One more note the Dickson-Bonfield portage is long but its in good shape generally so not that bad.

4/10/2018 6:53 pm  #3

We did it the other way for downstream on the Crow River and hopefully a better chance of a tailwind on Lavieille and figuring we would have eaten all the food by the time we got to Dixon so less weight for the big one.

4/10/2018 11:37 pm  #4

You'd be adding a lot more work between going up current, against the prevailing winds and doing the longest carry with the heaviest packs. It can certainly be done but, I wouldn't do it.   The Dickson>Bonfield is not so bad that it needs to loom IMO.

4/20/2018 8:21 am  #5

Thanks all for the advice. In the end we've decided to do this loop the natural way, ending with the Dickson-Bonfied portage. Much appreciated!

5/04/2018 1:39 pm  #6

Two big reasons for NOT doing this loop in reverse - the tail wind on Lavieille which is a huge bonus, and (as already stated) your food pack is significantly lighter by the time you reach Bonfield/Dickson portage.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.