You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/16/2015 9:38 am  #1

Resizing Photo Image Files For The Paddling Trip-log Contest

Entering the Trip-log Contest is by email. The details are located at .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/tlfr5000.html .The text and photo requirements are structured to result in similar 'formats' between entries .. allowing the actual story-telling and photo content to be judged on consistent baselines.

The main requirement of the entries' photo files is that their longest dimension be 1280 pixels. This requirement will place all entries photos on a consistent baseline so they can be compared and judged fairly.

For those who don't have a 'photo-resizing' program, I've just added a 'clarification' to the details page which includes the link to the download of a free "Fotosizer" program.

In the interest of having more participation in the contest, I'm willing to discuss the resizing process here on the forum.

10/17/2015 8:32 am  #2

Re: Resizing Photo Image Files For The Paddling Trip-log Contest

Image resizing can be a bit confusing at times if you don't have proper software (i.e. Photoshop or Lightroom, etc.).   Like Barry eluded to, there are lots of free photo resizing websites that can make the process much simpler for the average person who just wants to resize a a few pictures.  I haven't checked out Fotosizer but a Google search showed lots of free programs to help.

10/17/2015 9:16 am  #3

All Microsoft Windows versions I've used (98, XP, 7) have allowed resizing in Paint... not sure yet about Windows 10.

In 7, it's easier than in the previous versions... right-click on the image and open the image in Paint, and then hit the resize button. The image will be at 100% size, so either reduce or blow up to the needed size (eg. 50% smaller or 150% larger).

Save and rename the file and upload the new smaller/larger image to the photo storage website (or whatever needs to be done to get the image into the TR)... resizing each image this way shouldn't take more than a minute once you know what size is necessary.

PS... if you are viewing the image in a camera manufacturer's viewing/editing software (mine is Olympus, disc and software came with camera), you will have to save the file under a new name to store in Windows first, which adds on a little more time. Or you can use the Olympus or whatever camera brand editing software to resize... but Paint is so quick and easy, I haven't tried the other.

Last edited by frozentripper (10/17/2015 9:27 am)

10/17/2015 9:32 am  #4

Hi "Frozentripper" .. The topic here is resizing photo image files specifically for the contest, not for general viewing on the forum. Entries for the contest require that the image files' largest dimension be resized to 1280 pixels and be attached to the entry's submission email along with the appropriate text file. Please read details at ..  http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/tlfr5000.html

10/17/2015 9:43 am  #5

Hi Barry... sorry I didn't read the instructions. Paint also allows resizing in pixels, once in "resize", hit the pixels button instead of percentage.

10/17/2015 10:26 am  #6

Hi 'Frozentripper' .. good help there! I've been using darn $ programs for so long, I'd lost track of what could be done with the built-in Paint program. And since its so buried in the 'accessories' folder, it's a good idea to 'pin it to the taskbar' for easy access. Again, good help!

10/17/2015 1:27 pm  #7

BarryB wrote:

Hi 'Frozentripper' .. good help there! I've been using darn $ programs for so long, I'd lost track of what could be done with the built-in Paint program. And since its so buried in the 'accessories' folder, it's a good idea to 'pin it to the taskbar' for easy access. Again, good help!

In Windows 7 it's not buried that deep at all. I have 'library' pinned to the task bar so I can access any and all of my documents, photos or other media. Once you select the photo you want by clicking on it, you simply click on 'preview with' and select 'paint'. Choose resize and choose your choice of pixel or %, enter the figures, done! Choose Save or Save As. I always use 'save as' so that my original is kept as is when transferred from the camera.

I've never used anything but Paint so I can't tell you that it's easier than the $$ programs but even for computer illiterate me I can resize the photo and name it wthin a few seconds. I keep a note pinned on my real desk of the sizes that various forums need for photos though...lol.

10/17/2015 2:07 pm  #8

Easy-peasy and free:  PicPick

http://picpick.en.softonic.com/

I use it a million times a day.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.