You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2018 8:53 am  #205

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

MartinG wrote:

Reply 200! 

I feel like we’re going to be at 300 before the ice actually goes out. If anyone needs me I’ll be on Opeongo with a hairdryer.

Just go out and light a bunch of big fires all over the ice.  Get some holes in that cheese!

4/26/2018 12:43 pm  #206

Sean, ATV, Gord

I know everyone on here is very appreciative of your optimism/realism/experience and first hand reports of whats going on. It gives us all anxiety/hope haha

By ice out time every year we all have cabin fever and just want to wet a line and a paddle. 

Also Im in for some lake fires if it'll help Martin and Vans 

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

4/26/2018 1:59 pm  #207

We've done a few #IceOut2018 reports but until recently things weren't moving much.  Here's to warmer weather, even rain and wind to clear up those lakes early in May.

March 2018 Ice Out Reports:
https://algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-ice-out-march-2018/

April 2018 Ice Out Reports:
https://algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-ice-out-april-2018/

We'll be announcing the winners in our 2018 Ice Out Contest once the ice is off of Lake Opeongo.
https://algonquinoutfitters.com/contest/2018-algonquin-park-ice-out-contest/

Photos from April 24th 2018
Lake Opeongo

Lake of Two Rivers

Smoke Lake

All photos by Randy Mitson (Algonquin Outfitters)

4/26/2018 3:28 pm  #208

Cloud cover obscures most of the only satellite image for today so far (including all of Algonquin), but here's Lake Simcoe on the 23rd versus today. 

4/26/2018 4:13 pm  #209

.. and shortly thereafter a cloud-free image popped up. Certainly there's long way to go, but the good weather is clearly kicking winter's butt in a hurry. 23rd versus today (the 26th) again. 

Last edited by Uppa (4/26/2018 4:14 pm)

4/26/2018 5:41 pm  #210

I too would like to add my thanks to those who are keeping us up to date.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

4/27/2018 5:27 am  #211

10cm of snow for northern APP tomorrow.
I am seriously considering going ice fishing via snowmobile. 
Even ALMOST considering pulling my canoe full of fishing gear behind my snowmobile down the snow covered Brent road tomorrow.

4/27/2018 8:49 am  #212

Its really starting to look like May 11 (or maybe a day or two earlier) is probably when opening will be. Any optimists??? lol

Sometime next week I am sure the park will delay opening a week to the 11th and then maybe move it back a day or two when/if the ice goes out earlier.

If its going below zero this weekend with the chance to add snow then I do not see how even with the temperatures  forecast for early next week (as I've seen similar in past years that have taken 2 weeks to melt 18" of ice) that its even open by the 6th or 7th, nevermind the 4th.

I thought we were good this year after the February weather...I guess after 18 years watching ice out I should have known better haha

Sorry for thinking out loud in writing, but I have to make a final decision today on vacation time.

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

4/27/2018 12:12 pm  #213

I was out at Kiosk again early this morning,
I was able to walk out onto the ice with no issues. The water level is coming up a bit creating a bit of open water on the shore, but the ice is still solid.
If I go and ice fish Kiosk lake tomorrow I wouldn't be breaking any laws would I? I would use a hand auger so that wouldn't be an issue, and I'd obviously only use worms. Possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

4/27/2018 12:46 pm  #214

No rules against ice fishing when the trout season is open. 

4/27/2018 12:57 pm  #215

That's how I understand it as well. Presumably you wouldn't be snowmobiling into the park, as that is against the rules (your reference to a hand auger suggests you are well aware ATV, but I figured I'd put it out there in general).

I was holding out as much hope as I could for May 4, but it's really looking like there's no way I'm going. I'll be interested to hear your ice thickness report!

4/27/2018 1:48 pm  #216

RobW wrote:

No rules against ice fishing when the trout season is open. 

Maybe not on paper but don't let the wardens see you. I tried it one time and had an irate warden yelling at me from shore in short order.  I went through the wording to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules beforehand but the Warden wasn't hearing it.

4/27/2018 1:49 pm  #217

I keep thinking May 4 is still a long way away and just maybe .... and then I looked at my calendar and realized May 4 is next Friday and am pretty happy that I pushed my first trip back to May 14. Which ... the ice'll be gone by then, right? 

4/27/2018 2:31 pm  #218

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

I keep thinking May 4 is still a long way away and just maybe .... and then I looked at my calendar and realized May 4 is next Friday and am pretty happy that I pushed my first trip back to May 14. Which ... the ice'll be gone by then, right? 

It's going to be close. Annoyingly, frustratingly close. 

4/27/2018 2:57 pm  #219

I'm surprised they haven't pushed back from the May 4th day yet. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/27/2018 3:21 pm  #220

Our Earth Sciences Field School started at a resort on Mississagagon Lake today.   That's about 30km north of Kaladar on highway 7 and south of Bon Echo PP.  The report I got from one of the instructors is that the lake is still frozen solid and the resort owner reported a couple of days ago that there was still a foot of ice on the lake.  This is a location well to the SE of Algonquin Park that would normally be ice free long before Algonquin is.

4/27/2018 9:08 pm  #221

ShawnD wrote:

I'm surprised they haven't pushed back from the May 4th day yet. 

In past years those updates have happened on Mondays or maybe Tuesday if they are trying to do a survey flight and the weather is bad on Mondays. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.