You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2018 2:05 pm  #1

I would like to know about the Galipo Lakes area.

My brother and I would like to check out the Galipo Lakes which are south-west of Welcome Lake in the south west leg of the Park. They don't look real easy to access but look interesting just the same. We would appreciate any insight on these lakes and where to access this group of small lakes. It looks like the best access may be from Pen Lake. Any comments are warmly welcome.
Gord

4/20/2018 2:35 pm  #2

Re: I would like to know about the Galipo Lakes area.

In 2015 some of the portages along the river were in poor shape. Missing signs and heavy blowdowns but they're short so not that big a deal. When I did it I went from Clydegale to Little Canoe lake and bushwacked  to a logging road and then bushwacked to East Galipo to make the trip a loop then down the river to Welcome. I think the trip is worth the effort.

4/20/2018 3:48 pm  #3

CoreyTrevor, Thanks for the feedback. Were you fishing or just exploring? It doesn't look like it gets many visitors as I can't see any campsites on the lakes.

4/20/2018 4:45 pm  #4

I was there in August of 2012.  The portages were good.  My trip report is here:  http://algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca/p/2013-cache-mcgarvey-south-galipo-louisa.html

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/20/2018 6:26 pm  #5

I was just exploring and it was an August trip. The campsite on South Galipo is alright.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.