You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2018 1:28 pm  #18

Re: Looking for a 2-man tent with vestibule - recommendations?

I have the Mountain Hardware 2.5....it s a true 2 person and comes in at around 6lbs and well under your price range. 

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/optic-2.5-tent-OU9660.html

4/16/2018 3:53 pm  #19

I tried your link and it just took me to the Mountain Hardware home page. This link seems to work:

Edit: nope, my link didn't work either. That's some seriously dumb website design. 

I own the Mountain Hardware Optic 6 man (!) tent for car camping with the family (it was on sale) and I've been pretty impressed with it. Good build quality. 

Last edited by Uppa (4/16/2018 3:57 pm)

4/16/2018 4:08 pm  #20

Link works fine on a computer but not mobile...

4/17/2018 7:10 am  #21

I have a TNF RoadRunner 3.
After approximately 15 seasons, I'm officially retiring it after this year.
About 2 years after I purchased it I loaned it to a friend who put it away wet and never took it out to dry, which caused the taped seams on the fly to delaminate. I seam sealed it after cleaning it and I applied NikWax Tent & Gear Proof to it once throughout the years to maintain some water repellency.

I purchased a MEC Volt A/C 3 a couple years ago, but sold it after one or two uses. It was light and good specs, but I didn't like the way the door opened (one zipper went horizontally, the other vertically and when closed they would meet in the bottom corner, as opposed to a "D" shaped door); which they have since changed and also the cinch strings on the tarp fly would come loose in the wind very easily.

I've decided to go back to TNF's tent that has the closest design to my original RoadRunner 3 which is their Talus 3.
Price is quite reasonable $330CDN +/- and includes a gear loft and a foot print.
Total weight is 6lbs 1oz off the store shelf.  It has simiar sized vestibule and floor areas as my old RoadRunner 3.  In the RoadRunner3 we sleep 3 of us in it (6ft 180lbs +/- adult males) while "Snug" it's by no means claustrophobic. and the vestibules were large enough to protect our boots and packs from torrential rain.
They also make a 2 and 4 person version of this tent. Although no experience with this actual tent, my previous TNF tent and all my TNF gear I have has held up very well for me over the years.

4/17/2018 11:13 am  #22

Thanks, again, to all for your insights and direction.  We'll be looking at these over the next few evenings (not Wednesday since that's the Pens vs. Flyers game) and likely placing the order online before the weekend!

4/21/2018 4:31 pm  #23

I have a Wolfskin Yellowknife III.   I wouldn't sleep 3 people in it, but 2 very comfortably. 3 in a pinch...Have had it for 10 years. 2 vestibules.  bought the extra footprint.  Water tight, but FREEEKIN heavy...11 lbs.

​Also looking for something a lot lighter.  I like the Hubba Bubba 2 person, but it seems tiny for 2 adult men. 

4/21/2018 4:55 pm  #24

I use the Hubba Hubba NX as a solo tent. It would be cozy as a 2-person definitely, but certainly doable. 

Now I wish it was called the Hubba Bubba. 

4/24/2018 7:03 pm  #25

hahaha...  Well, It is now!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.