LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2018 8:21 pm  #1


Backcountry spring opening delayed...

...until May 4th

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Edit: I guess this is old news to everybody and was posted first in the ice-out predictions thread, but I thought it was a good idea to post it here in trip-planning in case somebody missed it.

Last edited by Methye (4/14/2018 8:46 pm)

 

4/16/2018 5:45 am  #2


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

I'd say people will be lucky to be on the water by May 4 at this rate..

 

4/16/2018 8:10 am  #3


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

Agree with you on that one,  From past experience I think your best spring fishing will be the periods from roughly May 12th-21st  


OTCanadienne wrote:

I'd say people will be lucky to be on the water by May 4 at this rate..

 

 

4/16/2018 11:13 am  #4


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

Going on a week long fishing trip with my dog May 6-12. Just need to figure out where I'm going. So hard to decide! I imagine the rivers are all going to be very high.

 

4/16/2018 1:22 pm  #5


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

Bring an auger haha

 

4/17/2018 8:19 am  #6


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

just means the trout will be even hungrier ...

 

4/17/2018 3:26 pm  #7


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

The May long wknd is going to be perfect timing. So for those of you that have booked during this wknd to fish brookies, you'll be nailing them...with little to no bugs to deal with.  I cant wait!

 

4/17/2018 6:18 pm  #8


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

i would like to be in the park for the long week, things could shape up as you suggested,
    however,, may 18th is my parents 74th wedding anniversary, dad 96 and mom 92 
  i will be home for that wild party!

      first the ice goes out, then the roads will be fixed up, then the trails,
     the ice storm probably created many new blow downs along the trails in algonquin park. i fully expect that  another opening date will be announced pushing things back another week. just a guess,
 

 

4/18/2018 8:09 am  #9


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

think you are right on the push back date,   don't even think most lakes will be even open.   Just not enough nightime high temps right now to help the cause.

swedish pimple wrote:

i would like to be in the park for the long week, things could shape up as you suggested,
    however,, may 18th is my parents 74th wedding anniversary, dad 96 and mom 92 
  i will be home for that wild party!

      first the ice goes out, then the roads will be fixed up, then the trails,
     the ice storm probably created many new blow downs along the trails in algonquin park. i fully expect that  another opening date will be announced pushing things back another week. just a guess,
 

 

 

4/18/2018 8:23 am  #10


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

the warm stuff is coming though .. beautiful weekend shaping up ...

Swede ... your parents are 96 and 92 ... and still together after 74 years  ... that's really impressive ...  

 

4/18/2018 11:39 am  #11


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

the warm stuff is coming though .. beautiful weekend shaping up ...

Swede ... your parents are 96 and 92 ... and still together after 74 years  ... that's really impressive ...  

Yes, if this forecast holds up there is still a decent chance the ice could be off by May 4

 

4/21/2018 7:37 am  #12


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

 

4/21/2018 6:47 pm  #13


Re: Backcountry spring opening delayed...

I’m planning to do a fishing trip from May 4 to May 7 down the Tim river and back through Misty. Hoping these temps hold up or I might have to reschedule.

 

Board footera