You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2018 7:37 am  #103

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

trippythings wrote:

I'm considering a trip around May 16-20 but not sure if that's too late if I'm trying to avoid the bugs

I often go on trip in the park Victoria Day weekend and usually don't get hit too hard by the blackflies. Sometimes they're starting to come out but not yet at peak. It's not bug-free but it's as good a time to go as any summer weekend.

4/11/2018 10:24 am  #104

Agreed with DanPM - I'm always amused at how freaked out people get about bug concerns in May.  All of my experience has been that they don't get bad until the last week of May in almost every year and even then can be manageable. 

Sure, as you get later in May your risk goes up but I have rarely seen the bugs as "horrible" any time in May.  Worst I've seen are short blasts of annoying bugs that a smokey fire or good breeze or DEET can keep at bay with ease.

4/11/2018 12:43 pm  #105

The most brutal bug situation (primarily blackflies, but also tons of mosquitoes) I ever experienced in the park was Victoria Day weekend in 2010. Of course that year ice-out was in early April...

4/11/2018 4:20 pm  #106

I’ve been watching Simcoe. Have heard it’s usually out about two weeks before Opeongo. Still looks pretty white on the satellite images.

4/11/2018 7:42 pm  #107

Noticed on the FOA webcam that a lot of the snow melted today.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

4/11/2018 7:44 pm  #108

Nother Question. If backcounty reservations, canoe trips permits are cancelled can you still do day trips if the lake is open?

4/12/2018 8:05 am  #109

I don't think there's any way you could be prevented from day tripping. 

4/12/2018 9:30 am  #110

that is what i did last year on opener, april 28th,, i stayed outside the park and bought a day pass at the gate for each day.
  i then portaged in off the highway, 
 i hope this helps

4/12/2018 10:00 am  #111

Yes you can day trip if the lakes are open. That's what we did back in 2014. 

4/12/2018 2:41 pm  #112

Kevin wrote:

I’ve been watching Simcoe. Have heard it’s usually out about two weeks before Opeongo. Still looks pretty white on the satellite images.

It is yes but it wont be long now until Simcoe is wide open.  There are big areas of the southern and south/eastern part of the lake that are fully open in marinas and bays.

4/12/2018 5:35 pm  #113

Well its snowing on the webcam again.

4/12/2018 5:50 pm  #114

There is a pretty amazing temperature differential between Windsor and the park east gate right now.   The east gate is a zero degrees while Windsor is at 22 degrees -- the hottest spot in Canada right now and 9 degrees warmer than normal.

4/12/2018 7:02 pm  #115

These were taken Tuesday.

Smoke  Lake

The Canisbay campground office is directly behind me.
Canisbay Road

Brewer Lake by Rob Howes, on Flickr

4/12/2018 7:50 pm  #116

DanPM wrote:

trippythings wrote:

I'm considering a trip around May 16-20 but not sure if that's too late if I'm trying to avoid the bugs

I often go on trip in the park Victoria Day weekend and usually don't get hit too hard by the blackflies. Sometimes they're starting to come out but not yet at peak. It's not bug-free but it's as good a time to go as any summer weekend.

PaPaddler wrote:

Agreed with DanPM - I'm always amused at how freaked out people get about bug concerns in May.  All of my experience has been that they don't get bad until the last week of May in almost every year and even then can be manageable. 

Sure, as you get later in May your risk goes up but I have rarely seen the bugs as "horrible" any time in May.  Worst I've seen are short blasts of annoying bugs that a smokey fire or good breeze or DEET can keep at bay with ease.

Thanks for the info. I see such conflicting things about when the bugs come out and when the bugs start getting intolerable. I've never done a spring trip but like I said I'll probably just plan tentatively and play it by ear based on weather and bug reports. I've got plans that I can't change for every weekend in May, so I'd have to do a mid-week trip and take extra vacation days from work... so I really need the stars to align. Otherwise I'll just save the vacation days for more August/September tripping

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/13/2018 7:04 am  #117

If you are going May 16-20 this year you should be fine as I looks like Ice won't be going out until First week of May.

4/13/2018 7:33 am  #118

Ice conditions 30 minutes North of the park yesterday.
Nothing in the North Bay area is even starting to break up on shore. All the locals are saying Nipissing is going to be later this year than the previous record of May 18th.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/13/2018 7:34 am)

4/13/2018 4:28 pm  #119

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Delayed opening until May 4th.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.