You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2018 7:24 pm  #18

Re: 5 Days in Winter

I wonder if a sleeping pad might help out a bit.

3/11/2018 9:10 am  #19

fishquest wrote:

I actually tried that at 3am on the 3rd night.  It's a double layered hammock so I put the pad in between the layers and it was not good.  I found the pad kept migrating to the middle of the hammock so when I laid on the diagonal, half my body would be off the pad. 

3/11/2018 8:55 pm  #20

Steve E wrote:

fishquest wrote:

I actually tried that at 3am on the 3rd night.  It's a double layered hammock so I put the pad in between the layers and it was not good.  I found the pad kept migrating to the middle of the hammock so when I laid on the diagonal, half my body would be off the pad. 

I was afraid of that maybe happening with mine being a single layer with no pocket and my squirming around at night so will work on finding that perfect quilt solution then.

3/12/2018 7:35 am  #21

I've used pad for many years in my single layer hammock but that was with my Big Agnes sleeping bags.  They have a sleeve in the bottom where you slide your pad so the pad stays put under you.  That system actually works really well in a hammock (at least I found it did).  I've since tried a pad on it's own in a single layer and really found it moved all over the place.  I've seen lots of videos so it is possible but I toss and turn a lot so it really didn't work well for me.  The double layer hammock works well though with the pad in between.  I also think it depends on what kind of pad you use.  I've used a wide Thermarest Mondoking and it worked very well and didn't move.  I used an older regular Thermarest and it was ok too (although the standard width pads don't give as much coverage.  But this time I used my Thermarest AllSeason Neo and it was moving around like crazy in the double layer.  That pad is a lot less rigid than the other two so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it...

5/02/2018 8:03 am  #22

Steve, Love your photography, and am envious that you and your dad can still get out there.  As for the hammock underquilt, I use a Hennessy Hammock underquilt that incorporates a space blanket between the hammock and the insulation.  The space blanket are so lightweight its worth taking one with you and giving it a go.  I wasn't a believer in them prior to using it as part of that system, I removed it once and will not do that again.

Great report.

5/02/2018 8:21 am  #23

Thanks Doug!  Do you find you have any condensation issues with the space blanket?

5/03/2018 9:41 am  #24

Some minor condensation issues.  Nothing that gets into the bag as far as I can tell, I do see some on the blanket itself in the morning when packing up but it shakes free.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.