You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2015 8:49 am  #1

PLB/Spot/Inreach

I'm wondering if anyone uses these devices in AP? Why did you chose a certain device and how do you like it? I'm thinking about getting a PLB, because I also fish the Great Lakes, but it seems a little overkill for Algonquin. The spot or inreach seem like a better choice for camping but paying for a subscription is hard to swallow. Then there's the whole getting away from it all argument.

10/04/2015 12:00 pm  #2

Re: PLB/Spot/Inreach

I carry an inReach so I can have 2 way communication in an emergency. I do not use it for just being available.

10/04/2015 3:20 pm  #3

I carry a PLB.  It might seem like overkil but I see the advantages this way:
- No subscription
- No temptation to use it to "check in".  I go solo often, and while I woulnd't consider just checking in, my family might want be to because the device is capable.
- When you really need it, you want a powerful transmitter.  I haven't looked at devices in a few years, but I believe the PLB is a 5W transmitter, and the Spot was 0.5W.  I've read reviews of the Spot where people commented that they were unable to send a check-in message.
- This could also be out of date info:  I believe the Spot uses a for-profit rescue service, for which you are on the hook for paying.  The PLB rescue is handled by the Canadian government, and I believe is free.

I could be wrong or out of date on the last two points, but it's something you may want to investigate before making a choice.

10/04/2015 5:20 pm  #4

I use an inReach device which pairs with my phone (the previous generation of InReach).

Why? Firstly, I generally canoe and hike solo, so the InReach provides peace of mind of my family. Secondly, I can ask what the wind and weather are going to be, if I'm concerned about crossing a big lake, etc.

Each evening around 8:00 or so, I send a message and get one back. If my phone is not working, the device can still send one of three stored messages I have composed at home.

Cost is expensive, but worth it. About $17 a month + about a dollar a message. In the "off-season" I can make it dormant, down to $5 a month.

10/04/2015 7:34 pm  #5

I started with a spot and now have an inreach. Inreach is much better. I have young kids and a wife who is type 1 diabetic.  So wouldn't go in without one.

Well worth the money in my opinion. People always talk about bears etc but the reality is if something is going to happen to you it is far more likely to be you slipping on a portage and hurting your leg or something similar and not being able to continue. Always have it close by.

Also comes in handy as mentioned to get weather forecasts, sports scores  etc.

Mine is $25 for 100 messages a month but I will turn the plan off in the winter so for the year maybe $360 plus tax.

Last edited by ShawnD (10/04/2015 7:35 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

10/04/2015 7:38 pm  #6

The inReach is very reliable - not the same network as the spot - I like that if I had an emergency I can get key information out - not just 'come get me.' This does require some work on my part - setting up a contact person - having them know who to call in an emergency, etc as I want to have options in an emergency so my only option is not press the emergency button.

We so keep ours in the car for the winter when out of cell service - I have the 100 messages.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (10/04/2015 7:42 pm)

10/04/2015 7:48 pm  #7

Here is an example of what can happen when S & R can't contact you: http://blog.oplopanax.ca/2011/08/personal-locator-beacons-from-the-rescuer’s-perspective/

10/05/2015 11:12 am  #8

I "use" a SPOT. I chose it because at the time it was the cheapest option.

I say "use" because the thing just gets shuffled from pack to pack and rarely ever gets used, BUT its there, who knows maybe one day I will need it.

On longer trips, we do use the check-in button for my parents and my wifes parents. It does not make us feel like we are being "taken away from nature". All I am doing is pressing a button that sends something out, the outside world still has no contact with me.

10/05/2015 12:56 pm  #9

InReach SE - 2 way text messaging, can pair with a phone for convenience of a 'real' keyboard but can write and send text messages directly on the device, Being able to turn it on or off on demand is a huge plus when it's only going to get used for maybe half the year. 

Primary purpose is as a safety device for our trips and my wife can use it with Girl Guide trips as well. The side benefit was that my son was working in the park for the summer without cell coverage. With the InReach we could communicate enough to coordinate visits for his time off. That was a lot harder last year when he was only reachable on the days he was into Mattawa for groceries. 

The track points are nice to have, but we'll see how much that matters in the long run. 

10/05/2015 6:09 pm  #10

The inReach is superior in a couple of big ways:

1) The 2-way communication is one advantage, especially for semi-emergent events that don't require SAR, but do require assistance. Eg. my battery died on a winter camping trip (i.e. I got back to the car, the battery was dead with -25C nights). Didn't need SAR, did need a tow truck in an area that did not have cell phone service. 

2) The ability to receive a weather forecast. I'm a big proponent of the LATS system (Look at the sky), but there are advantages to knowing a weather forecast, especially if Tstorms are coming overnight. The inReach can be set up to receive weather reports - there is a guy who runs a free website that allows a text-based forecast to be sent to the inReach GPS location - either once, or daily (in imperial or metric). It's free, he runs it out of the goodness of his heart.

http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/

Pretty sweet. 
Marko

10/06/2015 7:22 pm  #11

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm leaning towards the inreach.  We'll see how many mec gift certificates i get for Christmas. I'm thinking about investing in a bivy too, so I'm hoping Santa is generous this year!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.