You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2018 8:28 pm  #1

One former AAer has passed!

To those of you who do not know and knew John Scarlett who was a former member of this site and organized the last White Partridge Express, passed away on September 13, 2017.  I just learned of this now on the Meanest Link Facebook page.  RIP John!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/02/2018 9:55 pm  #2

Re: One former AAer has passed!

In memory of John Scarlett, I am sure all the avid canoers on this site will be in awe re two trips that John's brother Mark told me one time on an AA gathering on Crotch Lake.  These two trips happened in the early 1960s when John was 21 and Mark was 18.

​(1) John and Mark left their car in Arnprior, Ontario and canoed the Madawaska River all the way to Algonquin Park where they took the Petawawa River to the Ottawa River and back to Arnprior.

​(2) John was a teacher back when he was 21 and he and his brother Mark became guides and took some of John's students on canoe trips through Algonquin Park.  On one of their trips, they took 10 students and themselves from Narrowbag Lake to Cedar Lake via the Petawawa River by canoes, rather than taking the long portage trail. 

I thought these two canoe stories might interest the avid canoers on this site.

Bo

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/05/2018 2:59 pm  #3

Hi Bo .. I recall Johns name for sure .. I'm sure I've read his posts and trip logs over the years.  Sad to see someone who obviously loved tripping that much to be gone. 

But it looks like he passed on his love of it to some folks ... great to see. 

I've done the lower part of the Madawaska and it's a bear after heavy rains in spring or fall ... and I was heading downstream ... paddling up that river would still be a challenge ...     

1/19/2019 7:51 pm  #4

RIP, John. 

I spoke with him several times on the old forum and found him to be a super nice person who loved the outdoors. Very sad indeed.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.