You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2018 8:42 am  #1

iPhone GPS Reception On Portages

Hi Folks!,

Hope eveyerones having a good 'trip planning season' (well for non winter campers that is) ;-)

Can anyone comment on iPhone GPS reception reliability while in the forest?  I've used mine no problem while out in the water with no overhead obstructions, but am curious as to others experience if they've used it bushwhacking, portages, etc in forest...

Thanks in advance!

2/28/2018 9:27 am  #2

Re: iPhone GPS Reception On Portages

I used my iPhone pretty heavily on my Spring trip last year and had no issues, but it was before the leaves were out. I used it a bit in August on a portage in pretty dense forest and had no problems there either. I imagine you'll be okay. 

2/28/2018 9:31 am  #3

Hey Ash,

I use my iphone 5s on portages quite often, with Jeffs map loaded onto the Avenza maps app. It has really come in handy a few times and has never let me down. I usually trip on the west side of the park, and it came in really handy once trying to find my into Ragged lake from Crown lake.

I've never not been able to get a gps signal within a minute or 2 while in the bush.

2/28/2018 9:50 am  #4

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping to hear!  May do some exploring on a trip this summer...  Like I've said, used the Avenza/iphone combo on water, but not under the canopy.

Great feedback - Thanks folks!
=D

3/01/2018 8:09 am  #5

I think I may remember a time or two at most where I had an issue getting a good gps signal while under a super thick canopy, but all I had to do was move 10 or 20 feet to get a different view of the sky.

3/01/2018 10:36 pm  #6

I also have had good results in the forest with and without foliage.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.