You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2018 11:48 am  #1

Lauder Lake Portage

On Jeff's Map it looks like you can bypass a good chunk of the portage to Lauder Lake in high water.  Any one out there done this? 

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

1/29/2018 1:50 pm  #2

Re: Lauder Lake Portage

Yea, the shorted portage used to actually be the entire official trail. It was extended to it's present length in ~1996 (for, as you say, when water levels are lower)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

1/29/2018 3:00 pm  #3

Tripper, I went to Lauder Lake to celebrate Canada Day in 2016. I enjoyed my time there.

The entire trail is flat and wide, and has evidence of once being a road (hence the corduroy road note on Jeff's map). With decent water levels, you absolutely can skip a majority of the trail. The 2nd take out is signed, flat and has a small hill to connect up to the trail as it exists today.

The creek does have submerged logs and whatnot, but as I said if water levels are decent it will not be a problem.

Lotta cool things to seeing Lauder too..

Cabin Relics

Cabin Remains

Old Canoe (really cool!)

I'm confident you'll enjoy your time there too.

1/29/2018 3:03 pm  #4

Thanks.  Day tripping first week in May so water shouldn't be a problem.  Is the trail suitable for a cart? 
Looking forward to the new map Jeff.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

1/29/2018 3:04 pm  #5

I'd say most of it is cart-able.. but there may be the odd place (esp. at the beginning) where a cart might not do so well.

1/29/2018 5:18 pm  #6

Thanks Tripper!

Not to hijack your thread, but just thought I'd mention if you (or anyone else reading) has any relevant/useful info for the new map I'd really appreciate it if you could send me a message/email :D

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

1/31/2018 11:24 am  #7

jeffreym wrote:

Thanks Tripper!

Not to hijack your thread, but just thought I'd mention if you (or anyone else reading) has any relevant/useful info for the new map I'd really appreciate it if you could send me a message/email :D

Build it and they will come.  Anything with your name on it is top notch.  If you designed and sold cars, id buy one.

2/28/2018 3:09 pm  #8

Peek,

​Assuming the water levels are high this spring, would the current of that small stream coming out of Lauder prevent a solo canoeist from accessing the high water mark of the portage?

Bo

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

2/28/2018 3:51 pm  #9

Hey Bo,

I was there for the Canada Day weekend, so by then the water levels tapered off.

The creek is more of a wide bog, so current will not be an issue - at all - but if water levels get low enough, the sunken logs will become troublesome.

During the Canada Day weekend that I was there, we were unable to use the shortcut. (Well.. we looked at it and decided to just portage instead - the sunken logs looked a little much).

With spring water levels, I'm about 80% confident you will be able to use the short-cut - and it definitely cuts the trail by 700 or 800m, give or take.

Nice lake, first site on the left (west) has a nice sunning rock. Check out the ruins too. I hear it has great bass fishing too.

2/28/2018 5:05 pm  #10

Thanks Peek for your prompt reply!

Cheers!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.