You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2018 12:29 pm  #18

Re: Jeff's Maps - Concerns

jeffreym wrote:

We plan on blowing you away with awesomeness when the time comes :D:D

YASSSSSS

2/13/2018 4:52 pm  #19

I too have relied heavily on Jeff’s maps over the years. At one point in time there was a book with all of Jeff’s maps of Algonquin in it available. For those that don’t know what I’m talking about, Jeff’s map was devolped into pages (10”x12”)  and available as book with a spiral binding. This was the most handiest thing to have, as we’d pick out a route, copied the page and plasticized it to make it waterproof and take just the needed page(s) with us. On some of the pages the map was enlarged to show more clearly any rapids etc.
Jeff, in the hope you’ll read this. Would you do something like this for the unlostify maps too?  I’d be ordering one immediately!
And congrats on the new venture!

2/13/2018 6:48 pm  #20

I've done something similar to tentsterforever.  I bought copies of all the Algonquin Maps (and confess that I have a Gonk problem in that I pour over them endlessly), and I take the relevant one on trips with me, but really don't look at it.  Instead, I print out small sections of the online version, cut them down to size, then either laminate or usually package-tape the heck out of it to "water proof it", and it goes in my hat for easy, if not very sweaty, reference. 

2/13/2018 7:47 pm  #21

@tentsterforever - There will be inline enlargements where it's helpful (2x to 4x on the maps we've made so far) but no map books. You can see what I mean if you head over to Facebook.com/unlostify (no account necessary). Just scroll down to our Owl Vision post to see what I mean.

FYI, this is going to sound odd, but it won't be possible to properly print the new maps at home (or interact with them on a computer screen). It's not because we'll arbitrarily limit the maps that we put out online, but because... umm... well, if I explain that, it'll ruin the surprise. Safe to say, they aren't like anything you've ever seen before.

Sorry for being so cryptic! It's just that we've purposely been keeping the best stuff secret so we can deliver a really big surprise :D. Of course, I don't want to be the one to ruin it.

Only a few more days before we start sharing them though! (I'm super excited to see your guys' reactions)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

2/13/2018 9:27 pm  #22

Can’t wait for the new maps. Looking forward to the french river maps.

As soon as your shipping,I”ll be getting the french river maps.

2/13/2018 10:37 pm  #23

Jeff, I’m very excited that you’re back in the map game. I remember chatting with you way back when you were publishing Algonquin 1.0. Very excited to see your new product. Just registered on your website so I’ll hopefully be one of the first to get the new maps. Glad you’re doing well.

James

2/14/2018 12:57 am  #24

@Shark - Me too! Just sent them off to get printed last Friday :D

@Jdbonney - Haha geez, that was 10 years ago (2008)! Thanks!!!

2/14/2018 2:05 am  #25

tentsterforever wrote:

I too have relied heavily on Jeff’s maps over the years. At one point in time there was a book with all of Jeff’s maps of Algonquin in it available. For those that don’t know what I’m talking about, Jeff’s map was devolped into pages (10”x12”) and available as book with a spiral binding. This was the most handiest thing to have, as we’d pick out a route, copied the page and plasticized it to make it waterproof and take just the needed page(s) with us. On some of the pages the map was enlarged to show more clearly any rapids etc.
Jeff, in the hope you’ll read this. Would you do something like this for the unlostify maps too? I’d be ordering one immediately!
And congrats on the new venture!

Mine didn't have spiral bindings and the cover was blurry, but I got 4 for the price of 3.  2 are still alive and two died hero's deaths on trips.  

Really happy to hear about all this Jeff.  Can't wait to see what you've got in store.  

2/14/2018 3:16 am  #26

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Mine didn't have spiral bindings and the cover was blurry, but I got 4 for the price of 3.  2 are still alive and two died hero's deaths on trips.  

Really happy to hear about all this Jeff.  Can't wait to see what you've got in store.  

Holy! Now those are originals!

I'm testing my memory here, but I think there were just over 100 of those ever made. At some point a year or so later I bought a printer and spiral binder and started doing them myself.

Lol, I actually remember I came up with the idea of doing it myself on a rest day at the site on the point on Biggar Lake, 2/3 of the way into a 23 or 24 day trip with my father, out of books to read (in those days I could only bring as many books as I wanted to carry!) and generally a bit bored and thinking about random stuff.

I never actually wanted to do the books (or any other print maps for that matter) since I didn't want to deal with sales or that sort of thing. I just wanted to go camping and make maps for myself. I relented only because I got tired of people telling me that they couldn't use the map if they couldn't bring it with them (I say that in a good way - I wanted the map to be used of course!)

Geez, it's crazy how long it's been! I started making the map for myself August 2006, and then first put it online May 2008.

Thanks for your support though the years :D. May there be many more years, many more maps, and many more trips ahead of us :D

2/14/2018 8:30 am  #27

Jeff, I am so excited to hear about the new updates! I can't wait!
Uppa brought up a very good point, but I'm sure you have already thought it through.. my absolute favorite thing about "Jeff's Maps" was the fact that you could load the map into Avenza Maps on your phone and overlay your exact location over the map via GPS (without cell service). The only trip I used a physical map on last year was my 10 day solo.. and that was only because I was afraid my solar charger wouldn't keep up charging my phone because I like to look at my map alot around camp. I always bring a physical map for every trip, but never end up taking it out because the phone version is so much handier.
Cheers

Last edited by ATVenture (2/14/2018 8:31 am)

2/14/2018 12:47 pm  #28

I love all the Map Love on here. Maps are one of my favourite things and I have never regretted buying new ones. 

On this Valentine's Day, I present a Love Haiku to maps: 

I stare longingly
At your details all winter
Come spring, we explore

2/14/2018 12:58 pm  #29

Audience stands and applauds. 

Well at least I did. 

2/14/2018 1:09 pm  #30

@ATVenture - Yup! There will be various digital versions of our new maps too

The only limitation is that some new features (that we haven't shown yet) don't work. It'll all make sense when you see what they are and how they function - it's pretty obvious what works where.

Anyhow, rather than continuing to talk in riddles, I'll just say you'll be happy regardless of how you use the map :D

(We'll be sharing these new so-far unrevealed features starting tomorrow and continuing next week :D)

@CanoeClaire - <3

2/14/2018 2:13 pm  #31

jeffreym wrote:

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Holy! Now those are originals!

I'm testing my memory here, but I think there were just over 100 of those ever made. At some point a year or so later I bought a printer and spiral binder and started doing them myself.

I have one of those perfect bound ones too. Over the years I have razored out many pages and laminated them with extra thick plastic at Staples. Punch a hole in the corner and put a carbiner in them, indestructible & waterproof. And too heavy to blow away!

Matt

2/14/2018 2:32 pm  #32

Jeff, would you and/or your new venture partner consider signing the first edition maps? Or at least maybe some of them? I ask because the spriral book I have ( version 2.0) is signed by you in blue ink. I just think that makes a real neat keepsake.

2/14/2018 4:11 pm  #33

LOL! Sure

Just remind me when the time comes!

This is getting super off topic now, but if anyone is curious about how Unlostify came to be you can check out this post from my now-partner, Deki: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=46390 (I ended up joining him just over a month after that was written)

2/17/2018 10:17 am  #34

Jeff, thanks for all the work you put into the maps over the years. I have a set of the complete set of the old ones. 

If you have never camped back country before it can be a bit daunting at first.

First thing I did was read a couple of Kevin Callan books cover to cover. Made me realize with some basic prep you can do it pretty easily.

At the same time I found the old forum here at AA. There is a tremendous amount of info on these forums.

Then I found Jeff’s map. I think it might have been in the first year you had them online. Gave me an accurate planning tool for how to get there.

So.  Big thanks to Kevin for writing some neat books, Barry and friends for keeping this forum up and properly moderated and Jeff for giving us all a huge resource for planning trips. Not sure I would have made the leap with out all three resources.

Thanks again

Last edited by Shark (2/17/2018 10:18 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.