You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2018 10:32 am  #1

Kiosk-to-Shall vs Shall-to-Kiosk

We are planning a one-way multi-day trip for July 2018 between Kiosk and Shall.  I am looking for recommendations on which direction to go.  In other words, is it better to go Kiosk-to-Shall or Shall-to-Kiosk?

The lakes we plan to travel through (if we go in the Kiosk-to-Shall direction) are:

Kiosk Access point - Kioshkokwi - Mink - Cauchon - Cedar - Catfish (via Petawawa River) - Burntroot - Big Trout Lake - Merchant - Happy Isle - Opeongo (North Arm) - Opeongo (Annie Bay) - Booth (via Opeongo River) - Farm - Shall Access point.

It is a bit more uphill/up-river in the Kiosk-to-Shall direction, and I wonder in particular if there is up-river paddling on the Petawawa between Cedar and Burntroot that would make things difficult), so that makes me think going Shall-to-Kiosk may be better.  But I expect given prevailing winds it is more likely we would have a favorable crossing of Opeongo if we went Kiosk-to-Shall (is. from north-west to south-east).

I have lots of experience in the Northern and Eastern areas of Algonquin, but I have never paddled on Burntroot/Big Trout/Opeongo.

If you have any thoughts or recommendation on travelling between Kiosk and Shall, and in particular what is the better direction to go, I would like to hear from you!
Thanks,
/doug

1/22/2018 10:45 am  #2

Re: Kiosk-to-Shall vs Shall-to-Kiosk

Hi Doug.  The wind can be an issue if traveling up Cedar to Kiosk.  The river between Cedar and Burntroot is no problem if you are going up river.  You will have some uphill portages though coming out of Cedar but nothing difficult. I'd rather deal with an uphill portage than a brutal headwind.  I have paddled up the Opeongo River solo and didn't encounter any issues but going down would be preferable.  If I was doing the route I would go Kiosk to Shall.  Good trip whatever direction you choose.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

1/22/2018 10:53 am  #3

I'm with Tripper; Kiosk to Shall is the better direction. You've got lots of big water on that trip and will want to be going East rather than West. Amazing trip - I'm super jealous. 

Unicorn Hill isn't as bad as people make it sound ;)

1/22/2018 5:25 pm  #4

Thanks Tripper and Uppa!    

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.