You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2015 10:24 am  #1

Cold Weather Boot Recommendation

Can anyone suggest a winter boot that fits the following criteria:

-Removable liner
-Very warm (rated to -50 or lower)
-Not ridiculously huge and clunky

I've had a few winter boots over the years and have yet to find that perfect winter camping boot.  I've had an old pair of Sorel Snowlion (I think that's what they were called) but they were a bit cold.  I had a pair of Baffin Impact boots (rated to -100 but I felt like I was walking in moon boots..they were massive!).  I'm currently using a pair of Ecco Track Elite, which are nice but when it gets down to -20 or colder, my feet are cold.  I LOVE my MEC Expedition Booties for around camp, but need something to wear for the majority of the day while out hiking, etc.

Thanks!

8/31/2015 11:40 am  #2

Re: Cold Weather Boot Recommendation

Quit talkin about winter already wouldya!!!

I was on a mission to find a way to replace my Mickey Mouse boots last year. The obvious answer is Mukluks. I'm not sold on the idea because of the high levels of slush and wet snow down here.
I'm also lucky because I don't really get cold feet. I ended up buying these: http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks/footwear/mens-winter-boots/bivy-hd3-lightweight-packboots-34612

Great boots! Totally waterproof, flexible and crazy light weight. They regularly go on sale for $90. The box has a sticker rating them to -50 (whatever that means). Downside, the sole doesn't have great treads. They don't sell a second pair of liners at the store. I may buy a second pair this winter just so I have a back up and two pairs of liners. 

8/31/2015 11:53 am  #3

Lol I can't wait for winter!!!

Thanks Martin those actually look pretty good from Marks.  I've been looking at some of the Pac boots from Cabella's http://www.cabelas.ca/product/1524/cabelas-trans-alaska-iii-pac-boot  but they look so big and clunky. 

How well do thoe boots from Marks breathe?  That seems to be another issue I have in that my feet sweat a fair bit, leading to cold feet once I stop moving around.

I do like the look of that boot though.  I think I'm going to pop over to Wintertrekking.com to see if anyone else has experience with them.  THanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Steve E (8/31/2015 11:57 am)

8/31/2015 12:59 pm  #4

They are marketed as waterproof breathable. But then so is Goretex. None of that stuff really works if you are really sweating. My liners were certainly damp at the end of the day. But they were not nearly as wet as with my old Sorels. 

8/31/2015 2:13 pm  #5

Thanks Martin.  I may pop by my local Marks this week and check them out.  I see they have another pair that look decent (a bit bulkier but still apparently very light):  http://www.marks.com/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&urlLangId=-1&productId=123504&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&catalogId=10051

9/03/2015 11:40 am  #6

I have two pairs of Baffin boots, both rated down to -100, one I bought from MEC, the other, a work boot I bought online. The work boot, even with the steel toe is incredibly warm, waterproof and is not a huge boot. Thses are the new ones on the site, mine are a few years old.
http://www.baffin.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=POLAMP01

9/03/2015 1:32 pm  #7

I'd have 2 major concerns with the Marks boots, the lack of a spare liner, and the very poor tread. Both would be a no go for me! Without a spare liner, the boots would be useless if overtopped by slush, or you found a hole, or if they got wet from heavy exertion. And that sole pattern, Yuck! try climbing a slope in hardpack without lugs, not happening!
I was a diehard Sorel fan until they moved their business off shore, now I'm using Kamiks, decent boot, easy to get spare liners, and good value for the money

9/05/2015 9:27 am  #8

Thanks again for the feedback.

I checked out the WindRiver boots and I tend to agree in regards to the tread.  It does concern me a bit and I don't know if they would accept a snowshoe very well.  I did like the weight of them though.  I'm giving some strong consideration to the Baffin Kootenay boot http://www.mec.ca/product/5038-473/baffin-kootenay-winter-boots-mens/

The boots are super light (one pound each), have a removable liner and an aggressive tread.  Now to find a place where I can actually try a pair on! 

9/09/2015 6:33 am  #9

These boots are the best. I've had them for about 20 years and still look brand new. I don't even wear socks in them. I've been on the ice all day in -30 and not a hint of getting cold. Even both my brothers and a few of my buddies have since bought them and have nothing bad to say about them. The only problem is with snow shoes. I don't know what kind you have but the toe is pretty big. Mine just fit. My 2 cents. And yes after last week-end I can't wait to go winter again! 

I'm just gone Fishin!

9/09/2015 6:35 am  #10

I'm just gone Fishin!

9/27/2015 11:35 am  #11

Well I ended up going in a different direction and getting a pair of Columbia Bugaboot III XTM's.  http://www.mec.ca/product/5043-448/columbia-bugaboot-plus-iii-xtm-omni-heat-winter-boots-mens/

They have 600gm insulation and are very light.  No removable liner, but that's the trade off for a boot that's not super bulky and/or heavier.  I think I'm going to give the vapour barrier sock thing a try.  The reason I wanted the removable liner was so that I wouldn't have to put on frozen bricks in the morning, but the vapour barrier sock (i.e. bread bag) apparently alleviates that problem.  I'll just have to see how I feel about having clammy feet...

10/01/2015 2:30 pm  #12

Nice! Cold weather and Hot tenting is just around the corner! Can't wait! 

I'm just gone Fishin!

10/02/2015 11:25 pm  #13

hey ,, what about using gore tex socks. i also get styrofoam meat trays and cut them to fit as a insole in the liner,,, double up the layers because it will settle down, very warm indeed. just ask your butcher person for some clean trays.
 all my work boots have a kevlar toe cap, warm and light boots. i could use new winter ice fishing boots from santa.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.