You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2018 10:38 am  #1

Eustache L / Basin L Questions

Hi Folks!,

Planning a couple trips into the park, and wondering if anyone can offer their input on the following questions:

Access Point A52 (Eustache L):
1) Jeff's map indicates I'd need a 4x4 vehicle for this.  Would people agree?
2) Any trouble/tips locating the turn off on the road to this access point?
3) Any troubles/tips finding the official portage from the unofficial portage?

Basin L:
4) Jeff's map indicates wooden fire tower remains just East of Basin L - Has anyone found this or have any pics / further info?

Many thanks in advance =D

1/16/2018 11:34 am  #2

Re: Eustache L / Basin L Questions

1. You can drive right to the start of P780 (actually, you can keep going - illegally. A warden once told me people illegally drive to where the Crow River dumps into the Pet, drop off they heavy gear then go back and park at Traverse - I ran into this situation myself with a truck that drive right to Francis Lake while I was there). I don't think you *need* 4x4 but it would help. The last bit of road to P780 is the actual railbed. So it's pretty flat and decent traction.

2. The turn off is not signed in any way. Either use a GPS or your phone's GPS to ensure you take the correct side road.

3. The portage to Eustache is signed at the railbed.

4. Haven't been to Basin, but if that tower was actually made of wood as opposed to steel, you can bet its long, LONG gone. 

Eustache is a beautiful lake with crystal-clear greenish water. Some great scenery and good jumping rocks too. Flagging tape at the other end will get you to Peek's Lake and The Forks ;)

1/16/2018 12:24 pm  #3

I actually hitched a ride this past fall with people driving that rail bed as far as The start of McDonald rapids. Also crossed paths with people cycling across the park on the rail bed. Both completely illegal of course. But from the looks of things you don't need any special clearance.

I've looked for the tower beside Basin in the winter and found no sign of it.

There is a road leading away from the Northern most campsite on Basin. I want to follow it. I've been told you can follow trails to Clover and to the old cabin site on Guthrie.

1/17/2018 12:25 pm  #4

The CNR still owns the rail bed and there are no trespassing signs up so if you ran into some CNR guys they could give you a hard time.  I know they sent a letter out to the Park a few years ago telling them to decommission any portages that used the rail bed as it was considered trespassing.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

1/17/2018 1:11 pm  #5

I think the CNR should be less concerned with trespassing and more concerned with cleaning up the creosote contamination that isn't on their property but is a direct result of 'their property'.

'we own this, keep off'

'Maybe clean it up then? It's negatively affecting the surrounding ecosystems.'

'No, we won't be doing that.'

'ok?’

But you better believe that if your home uses oil as the fuel source for heating and that oil should happen to leak out somewhere - you'll be getting more than just a knock at your door to clean up.

1/17/2018 3:13 pm  #6

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!  Booked my first trip of the season into the park yesterday, looking forward to exploring these lakes for sure!

Thanks again folks =D

Edit: PS, I certainly can't say I disagree with Peek here...

Last edited by Ash (1/17/2018 3:38 pm)

1/18/2018 4:23 pm  #7

I've gotten down there with my civic before. if I recall correctly when I was there I remember seeing some mickey mouse concrete barrier than could have been easily moved out of the way with a pry bar where the railbed met the petawawa, but that was 2 years ago. I've heard that area is popular among natives for sledding and ice fishing in the winter and hunting in the fall. 

1/25/2019 3:14 pm  #8

Anyone know whether one can park his car at A52?

Thanks,
Paul 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.