You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2018 12:35 pm  #1

Highview Cabin - Nip R

It's been a number if years since i traversed the west side of the Park. Im considering the Highview Ranger Cabin and my question is, which route is quicker in terms of difficulty and time - low water, dams, switchbacks/oxbows..ect. This trip would take place during the spring time - May.

Access #A3 - Indian Pipe to Big Bob.  This route can be shallower and entails the notorious section between P110 and P165. After Grass Lake it's smooth sailing regardless of the jump off point.

Access #2 - Tim to Rosebary.  This route is longer but perhaps quicker/easier due to Tim R being wider, deeper, and less switchbacks. My concern is Latour/Loontail section as this portion is unknown to me.

Appreciate any comments on the difficulties along this route that some of you may have encountered in the past.

1/16/2018 5:09 pm  #2

Re: Highview Cabin - Nip R

Tim to Rosebary.

1/16/2018 6:31 pm  #3

Six one way, half dozen the other.

1/16/2018 8:23 pm  #4

Thanks Martin. Any reason that stands out for you regarding the Tim/Rosebary route?

Peek wrote:

Six one way, half dozen the other.

Have you traveled both routes?

1/16/2018 9:20 pm  #5

I have not travelled the Big Bob route. I gave a quick response because I feel it is clear cut that the Rosebary route is faster.

Fewer portages 3 vs 11. Shorter portage  distance 2665 vs 3135. The river travel is also easier on the Tim than the upper Nip. Fewer obstacles and higher traffic.

On the other hand, if you park at West Koko Pond it could be a wash. If not, Peek I challenge you to a race!

1/16/2018 9:39 pm  #6

Here's my theory for what it's worth;

If one begins at Indian Pipe (or Ko-Ko Lake) and the other begins at Tim Lake and they both travel to the junction at Hi-Ah Lake, i believe the deciding factor would be the portion of the Nip R between the 110P and the 165P.  That portion is brutal and can take upwards of 3 hours to complete.

Having said that, the portion between Rosebary and Hi-Ah Lake junction is the extra length between the two routes (approx) BUT...i feel that the extra length of portage/paddle between Rosebary and Hi-Ah can be completed quicker (using time rather than distance covered) if compared directly to the time it takes to complete the section between the aforementioned two portages, 110P and 165P.

Ive only done the lower route, so this is all theoretical...and it's fun to discus and hear other theories based on experience.

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (1/16/2018 9:44 pm)

1/16/2018 9:42 pm  #7

Double post

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (1/16/2018 9:44 pm)

1/17/2018 10:42 am  #8

I’ve taken the Nip to the Cabin and travelled the Tim route too (a couple times actually) and unless one is willing to travel for 10 to 12 hours, it will take two days to get to the cabin – regardless of which way you go and your day one result will most likely end at Grass Lake, or Hiah Lake, again depending on your route.

On one hand, when I took West Koko to the cabin, Day 1 ended at the Grass Lake campsite 17kms away from the start point (single carry, solo) and the total travel time was 6h 45m - however that includes 2h37m of breaks (I was taking tons of photos, some exploring and a bit of fishing). Actual moving time was 4h 10m. When you said it takes about 3 hours to get between P110 and P165 I thought ‘No way’ – so I checked my GPS tracks. Well I’ll be damned! You’re right! It was almost 3 hours – 2h 39m to be exact. So even if one only stopped for lunch and a few quick breaks to filter water, West Koko to Grass Lake (almost the Hiah Junction) can easily be done in 5, maybe 5.5 hours.

On the other hand, it’s 21.7km to go via Tim – so it’s a bit more distance, but also more walking (not a ton, maybe 900m or so - though less unloading and reloading). Which tends to even out the extra time/kms on the water when taking this route.

So really, six one way, half a dozen the other.

But if I had to choose, The Nip from West Koko pond will get you to the junction just a little faster than via Tim – but the difference is negligible.

Latour and Loontail creeks are pretty much equal to the upper Nip (minus the long sections of log jams). So given that the both routes are very close in time, if one of the options is a ‘new route’ to me, that’s the one I would take. But that’s cause I like an adventure – some like to know what to expect. If I’ve done them both before, I’d go with which was more scenic, or faster.

Either way you’ll have a very enjoyable trip – the upper Nip is very different from the rest of the park. 

Last edited by Peek (1/17/2018 10:42 am)

1/17/2018 10:57 am  #9

I was down Latour/Loontail a few years ago and both were a good paddle and that was end of May.  I really enjoyed Latour.  I have a trip log posted with a pic of Loontail Creek.

I've gone both ways to the cabin and I'd prefer the Tim R. option.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

1/17/2018 11:43 am  #10

Thanks Tripper, i'll search out your trip log and take a peek.

Speaking of Peek, thanks for the detailed response - particularly your solo times.You made good time humping in to Grass Lake. I may attempt single carry on this one too. Thanks again for your help.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.